Ontario and Quebec develop EV network charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hopeful that this project blossoms into something- I live about 50km south of Cornwall, ON and often visit friends in Brockville or go to visit Ottawa. It would be nice to be able to use the i to make those trips. Also, I vacation in or near the Laurentians (summer and winter) and it would be a hoot to be able to take the i, although that might be more ambitious, especially in the winter (maybe a trip to visit Sandange for fun?)

I think it's too late for me this season, but would like to plan something next spring/summer to go to Ottawa, using Plugshare or the Plugndrive site to plan it. Only concern is that some of these stations are marque-specific (Volt/Leaf) and may not be all that chummy to Mitsu owners, which is too bad, although I understand and respect their right to reserve their equipment for their customers.

Maybe we could plan a get together for a beer sometime? Let's see, half way would be, maybe Kingston?

I'm wondering how the Hydro-Quebec CircuitElectrique system works, if a non-HQ person like me can use their EVSE using just a credit card? Y-a-t'il quelqun qui peut me dire?

Meanwhile, here on MY side of the longest undefended border, I'm pretty well stuck within 1/2 a tank of my L2 EVSE in the garage. :(

At least for now... on peut rever

nt2w
Yes "ROAD TRIP"
I enjoy getting out for a mini adventure and with the I it would be a bonus.
If your spirit does bring you out this way , do drop by

nt2w said:
I vacation in or near the Laurentians (summer and winter) and it would be a hoot to be able to take the i, although that might be more ambitious, especially in the winter (maybe a trip to visit Sandange for fun?)

I've been thinking about ways to travel with the i. One of my ideas is called "Range Camping". Each day, travel the range of the i and find a camping location. Then charge up through the night and travel on the next day to the next site. Bring a 240v portable EVSE would make it most feasable especially for shorter trips but the L1 would do just as nicely and bring on longer stays at each site. Using mostly provincial roads and slower speeds, definitely would be able to go quite a ways over a few days. Definitely something I'm enjoying more and more with my electric car, is slowing down - been needing to do that for a long time.

MLucas said:
nt2w said:
I vacation in or near the Laurentians (summer and winter) and it would be a hoot to be able to take the i, although that might be more ambitious, especially in the winter (maybe a trip to visit Sandange for fun?)

I've been thinking about ways to travel with the i. One of my ideas is called "Range Camping". Each day, travel the range of the i and find a camping location. Then charge up through the night and travel on the next day to the next site. Bring a 240v portable EVSE would make it most feasable especially for shorter trips but the L1 would do just as nicely and bring on longer stays at each site. Using mostly provincial roads and slower speeds, definitely would be able to go quite a ways over a few days. Definitely something I'm enjoying more and more with my electric car, is slowing down - been needing to do that for a long time.

My sentiments exactly Dylan. Well said. If you do such a trip please let us know and/or blog about it and send us the link!
blake

You guys have me thinking.....
That's usually how I get into trouble

Sounds like you guys enjoy camping
Coming from a BMW motorcycle group - weekend camp outs or get togethers are often organized.

I might suggest we organize a weekend for next summer where we can get together with our I Mieves
Nothing official or formal , just a good old weekend camp out. Maybe a 3 day weekend to accommodate our speedy steeds. LOL

If there is any Interest
We can try and all book at one one campground and herd the Mieve's in together for some photos.

A central location would work best so no one has to travel too far.
Judging from those who commented here
MLucas is the furthest west at Niagara on the lake and
I am, from the east....
A some what central location could be Kingston, Ontario.

Anyone interested?

This is how big things get started- a "first annual i-MiEV meet" :p

There's a neat website to do the calculations (http://www.geomidpoint.com/meet/), and either you used it or you have a great sense of direction, 'cos Kingston is pretty close to the midpoint between MLucas, Blake, you and me! It's actually a little farther west, about Napanee.

There are lots of nice spots around there- Bay of Quinte area including the Sand Banks, which is beautiful so I've heard.

An initial thought is that Sandange and I might want to stagger our arrival and departure since we might compete for the same EVSE on part of the trip, unless he came through Ottawa. There might not be as much competition coming from the Toronto direction...

I like thinking of something next summer, makes the winter go faster!

Cheers-

Rich

Hi Guys,

We have vacationed at sandbanks many times. It's really the nicest camping place I've been. The beach is spectacular. It's really civil family camping and there are many electric sites. But it is very difficult to get the nice beach sites. If you want to have a meet in July Then you book in Feb exactly 5 months ahead of time. Getting a few sites together man be impossible but as long as you get one electric site we could all share it.

It is 450 KM from my place so without quick charging it would be difficult to get there. I'd have to think about it.

It would get my vote as a destination just because it is such a nice spot. Just have to figure out how to get there......

Don........

Alright! This is cool. I'm definitely in.

I moto-camped for years on my motorcycle and I absolutely loved it! I found the greatest places along the route. Now I'm electric, I'm going to go in this direction - Range Camping. May as well give a name to it. A little bit of planning is all it takes, pack the provincial park maps, rv camping map books and my GPS - should be all set. I plan to only travel the back roads when I Range Camp and travel no faster than 90 kmh (apr. 55 mph). Most of the provincial back roads are rated at 80 kmh only the 400 series roads are 100 kmh, shouldn't be a problem.

Are we looking at the July 1st weekend? Go Canada!

Back