OK to replace one tire in the front?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleydavidgood777

I have fairly new tires but one in the front needs to be replaced due to a hole near the sidewall.

Is there any chance that replacing just one could result in the car complaining about an imbalance?

Thanks!

It won't be the same model tire because that one is no longer available.

One would be a Yoko ICEGUARD IG20 with minimal wear (no longer available)

New one would be Continental ContiEcoContact.

Thanks!

In that case, I'd try to make both fronts match brand. From personal experience, the Continental's have great rolling resistance but almost no traction.

In that case, I'd try to make both fronts match brand. From personal experience, the Continental's have great rolling resistance but almost no traction.

Is that because the car may complain about the imbalance?

That is what I am really trying to understand, does the car ever complain about an imbalance in tires, and if so, what happens?

Thanks!

It's not something I can recommend doing for safety reasons (grip differences could cause the car to pull hard to one side under heavy braking or steer unevenly), but as long as the tire is the same size with similar tread depth, the car won't really know or care.

If the tire's actual circumference is considerably different (thus affecting the measured wheel speed/RPM), you could experience a loss of regenerative braking, false activation of stability or traction control, or just outright disabled safeties. I once had traction control falsely engage in a turn just because my rear tires had more tread wear than the front.

The answer is not fine for long time.
You have a Winter and a Summer tire. Thous can do well in 99% of hard brake but Winter tire will slip in hard brake offen more then Summer tire when outside is hot and in emergencie situation ABS will open brake when weakest grip tyre will slide and not have brake ultill all tyres have grip.
Aquaplaning will be different on high speed.
Recomandation. If you want to drive with thous need to drive more alert/safety.

Back