NOSE GERNERATORS

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDY4004

HI all. I live in Wales UK and own an iMiev. I have read today that Guide Dogs For The Blind UK are campaigning to make it law for Electric cars to have noise Generators. I noticed a couple of weeks ago whilst driving that 2 little Birds flew straight towards me. I thought Id killed them but couldn't see them in rear view mirror, so I think I missed them. However today I went into Tenby ( South West Wales) and 2 Big Seagulls flew straight into my path At the last minute I blew the Horn and they just away with it. Can see the reasoning behind this, but would like a choice of sounds and the ability to switch it on or off. I love the silence of the cars and feel that you just need to be aware of people or animals in road. Like to hear other peoples views?

I think it is a law in the USA. North American iMiEV's come factory equipped with a noise generator which operates at slow speeds to warn pedestrians. Up to about 35 Kmh I think. It shuts off at speeds faster than that. Don't know if it would help any preventing bird strikes, but it's an interesting thought

Don

I seriously doubt the noise generators on our i-MiEVs in the Colonies keep animals away from our vehicles. The other day, I watched the video with David Letterman mentioning that he nearly hit a squirrel in his LEAF. That same day, I nearly hit a squirrel with my i-MiEV, even with the noise generator going. (I was pulling into the alleyway behind my house, so I was doing <10 MPH.)

Back