New 2016 iMiEV Owner

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvinebox

Deal all,

Just bought a brand new 16 iMiev from a local dealer (US east coast).

1. $21K include delivery with 0% for 60 m. Hope I got a good deal.
2. A bit nervous driving on high way and made it home safely (never in a tiny car like this before)
3. The manual is hard to understand.
(1). I thought the car will make noise at low speed (<~20mph) and the indicator will stay on. Did not see this happening.
(2). It would be nice if the car will beep when I press the lock button on the key (to confirm the alarm is on). Not sure how to do this and can't find answers in the book.

Would like to share a photo or two but don't know how...

Sorry not very computer savvy. Learned a lot from this forum before purchasing the car and just want to say hello :)

Welcome to the forum!

If you qualify for the federal $7500 rebate, then $21K is a very good deal - It's a lot of car for $13.5K. I paid about $30K for my first 2012 four years ago

Yes, it's not really a 'highway' car, though once you get used to it it's not uncomfortable to drive at 70 mph

The car does make an external noise at low speeds, though you can't really hear it from inside the car

The parking lights flash when you lock or unlock the doors, so as long as you're looking at it, you'll know the locking operation worked as it should

Sad to say, I've been a moderator here for more than 3 years and I can't post a photo either . . . . without having someone 'store' it for me somewhere beforehand - Posting photos here is definitely not as easy to do as it is on many (most) other forums

Don

calvinebox said:
(2). It would be nice if the car will beep when I press the lock button on the key (to confirm the alarm is on). Not sure how to do this and can't find answers in the book.

Mine will beep only if the sensor detect light outside the car ( sun ). It will not beep at night to avoid disturb neighbors.

Welcome to the forum.

The sound is automatic and functions between 2 MPH and 22 MPH. There is an indicator light on the dash, but you should only see it when starting the car or if the system malfunctions. Other than that, the light stays off.

Here is a sound clip of the pedestrian warning system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-49r6yvfk

As for the horn beep when locking (called the Answerback function), the procedure is listed on page 3-13 of the owner's manual. It can also be found here:

http://www.myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3108

Congratulations on your new I Miev, &
Welcome to the forum.
:D
The gang here have assembled a lot of great information on our models.
With a little searching on the forum, you can learn a lot about our EV.

In a couple of weeks you'll feel much more comfortable with the Miev, it's driving range and
Probably get that EV drivers grin.
Enjoy and drive safe.

calvinebox, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase!

I took the liberty of changing your topic title to make it a bit more descriptive so we can more-easily find it in the future. Oh, and you might consider changing your profile to add your location so we know what part of the world you're in (User Control Panel —> Profile —> Edit profile —> Location).

Hope you find as much enjoyment from your little workhorse as most of us do.

(Posted from Pecos TX during our Tesla x-country trip) :roll:

My favorite mode for the answer back function is mode 4. Single push locks and arms everything quietly which is best for most situations. Double push gets the brief horn toot so you can make a point of the fact the alarm is armed to any perhaps sketchy bystanders. Or else, just to make sure it locked even after you have turned to walk away without turning back to check for the park light flash.

I hope you love your 2016 as much as most of us here love these cars. I have little doubt the it will surprise you fairly often, in mostly positive ways.

Aerowhatt

Dear all,
Thank you for your replies and detailed info. I am glad that I found this friendly forum :)
I finally head the low speed noise. It sounds a lot like my dishwasher.
I would like to use mode 4 but can't get the car to beep no matter how fast I press the lock key twice. I am on mode 2 now.
I am still excited about the new car and had a weird dream last night. I was waiting in line for a DC charging station with all the model 3 cars and every one is giving me a look :) still can't believe 400k has been reserved and these fancy charging station better be built up soon.
I am in NJ (semi rural and peaceful part, people do say hello to a stranger occasionally).
I was "stalked" by a grey leaf on the highway the other day. Hopefully will spot an imiev on the road one day and I will waive at you.

When you press the lock button, do the turn signals flash? If not, then the hatch or a door isn't completely closed. If they do flash and the horn won't beep, then you are in mode 1 (no beep). Follow the directions in the tech article I linked above (there should also be a video demonstration on there) to change modes. Remember, the driver door must be open for the programming to work.

Also, if you are in mode 2, a single LOCK press should beep the horn if all doors are completely closed. Mode 4 is required for a silent single LOCK press and beep on double press. Also, if you don't have an AUTO function on your headlight switch, your i-MiEV will skip mode 3.

Back