Motor creeping when beake applied

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phb10186

Do others feel the motor tick along when stopped in traffic in with the brake pedal depressed. I would have thought the brake may stop the motor creep (i.e. electrically, rather than only mechanically), but I have noticed sometimes (all the time?) that the motor is trying to creep even when manually stopped by the foot brake - telling me that braking in 'D' (or others as well) doesn't stop the motor from trying to turn.

Noticed this a few times, it feels like a slight vibration, and not always present.

Do others report that too?

... in other news, borrowed my wife's Insight over the weekend for 500+ miles - feels so awful compared to the EV, that I am thinking about selling on. 6 months of EV driving has taught me that hybrids are a total compromise of both electric and ICE. Maybe the new Toyota units are better, by the Honda felt really horrible to drive - and that was a car of my choosing 2 years ago. I'm considering swapping for a Prius, or just an economical regular ICE. I think it's the CVT lag that just makes it feel like a slop stick.

mdbuilder said:
Yes, it is called interestingly enough creep :D

It's a feature not a bug, pop it into nuetral if you like to relax at the light.

I only notice the tick sometimes, I am aware that the usual creep is a feature... to make it like a regular automatic.

Creep shuts off with moderate brake pressure. Watch your power needle closely, it'll be off-center when creep is active, but fall dead center in between the green and blue when creep shuts off.

Every once in a while, I'll feel my motor shutter in the drivetrain slack when inching along in stop and go traffic.

phb10186 said:
Do others feel the motor tick along when stopped in traffic in with the brake pedal depressed. I would have thought the brake may stop the motor creep (i.e. electrically, rather than only mechanically), but I have noticed sometimes (all the time?) that the motor is trying to creep even when manually stopped by the foot brake - telling me that braking in 'D' (or others as well) doesn't stop the motor from trying to turn.

Noticed this a few times, it feels like a slight vibration, and not always present.

Do others report that too?

... in other news, borrowed my wife's Insight over the weekend for 500+ miles - feels so awful compared to the EV, that I am thinking about selling on. 6 months of EV driving has taught me that hybrids are a total compromise of both electric and ICE. Maybe the new Toyota units are better, by the Honda felt really horrible to drive - and that was a car of my choosing 2 years ago. I'm considering swapping for a Prius, or just an economical regular ICE. I think it's the CVT lag that just makes it feel like a slop stick.
I tend to pop mine in neutral and put the handbrake on if I know I'm going to be stopped for more than a few seconds, but when I don't I haven't noticed the motor trying to creep when I just hold it on the brake - I do press the pedal quite hard.
You should try out a Prius - it was the "gateway drug" to an EV for me (I had 2 in succession as company cars) , and since replacing them with my iOn, I have replaced our other car (a Berlingo) with a 2nd hand Prius (2008 NHW20 model). We both like it as a longer distance cruiser, but I have never driven an Insight, so no idea how it compares.

Back