Maximum Range Remaining

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fjpod said:
I'd love to participate, but I am refraining from 100% charges
I'm charging mine fully every time. Is it actually '100%' or something less? Who knows? I've gotta believe that if a 90% charge was going to give you significantly better battery life, then the Mitsu engineers would have designed the charger to kick out at the 90% level, rather than continue on and 'overcharge' the battery, thereby shortening it's life

If they had intended you to be able to repeatedly charge only to 85 or 90 or 95% of capacity, then they would have given us a much easier way to program the car to do it

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it :D

Don

Don said:
fjpod said:
I'd love to participate, but I am refraining from 100% charges
I'm charging mine fully every time. Is it actually '100%' or something less? Who knows? I've gotta believe that if a 90% charge was going to give you significantly better battery life, then the Mitsu engineers would have designed the charger to kick out at the 90% level, rather than continue on and 'overcharge' the battery, thereby shortening it's life

If they had intended you to be able to repeatedly charge only to 85 or 90 or 95% of capacity, then they would have given us a much easier way to program the car to do it

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it :D

Don
You're probably right.

Right now, if I am only planning on driving 25 miles per day, I am only charging it every other night, maybe every three...so, right there, I am extending battery life. Although I haven't done it yet, on days that I am planning on going into Manhattan, where my round trip is 40 miles, I will certainly give it a full charge.

I've heard the BMS on the Volt and the PiP do not fully charge their batteries. It would be good to hear from a Mitsubishi official about this.

Don said:

Don

That's how I see it also, after all they made it for us d**b end users.

Back to the thread-my RR is consistently between 49 and 54 miles after a full charge. I can only dream of 3 figure RRs. :D

Wee John said:
Don said:

Don

That's how I see it also, after all they made it for us d**b end users.

Back to the thread-my RR is consistently between 49 and 54 miles after a full charge. I can only dream of 3 figure RRs. :D
do you have a lead foot?

fjpod said:
do you have a lead foot?

Aah! That's the problem, I drive with steel toe capped boots. :lol:

The problem is the i lends itself to driving for fun and I take it to the max almost everywhere. I decided today that I will drive more sedately for a week and see what the results are. Keep you all posted.

With less than a week of driving experience, I haven't really done any full charges. but I have passed by the half tank mark a few times and when I do, it usually says 40 miles left...so if you assume that the battery depletes in a linear fashion, my range is an estimated 80 miles. I will be doing a full charge Monday or Tuesday.

OK, I drove the 33 miles to work very sedately (between 62mph and 71mph) this morning and I had to stay late at work so I managed to get a full charge. My RR before I left work was 64 miles. I took it easy on the way home and I am expecting my RR in the morning to be in the low seventy's. Look out JoeS, I am nipping at yours heals! :eek:

http://www.driveimiev.com/uploads/3/2/8/9/3289940/newdoc_21.pdf

I finally did a full charge last night, well almost. I had all 16 pips, but the charger was still going. The RR read 84 miles. I have been doing virtually all daytime driving, no CC, good weather, no passengers, etc. I attribute this relatively good showing to the fact that I have driven a Prius for 2 1/2 years. I still have a way to go to get to 99.

Today the weather is lousy. I need defogging. I'm amazed at how much the RR drops when you turn it on. I'm using it judiciously. We'll see what happens.

WeeJohn, see you reverted to your old bad habits… tsk, tsk :p But I know the feeling, as last week I had to roar along at 75+ in the HOV lane to avoid blocking traffic…:roll:

fjpod, that is excellent :!: Had you let her fully charge up, you might have gained another four miles, giving you 88... wow, within range of the 96 current "record".

Everyone, be sure to snap a photograph when you beat the record and post it here. In a year, I predict we'll be well over 100.

Ohhhh, I maybe could have beat it! After our long drive on Sunday, I set the charger to charge for 4 hours (the SOC was at 3 bars). When I got in it today, RR showed 95! I'm not sure it was fully charged, although there were 16 bars. In theory, I might have been able to beat 96.

How do I upload a picture from a file? I'm not set up to use any kind of photo sharing site like flicker, etc.

Edit: Here is the picture, thanks to help from a forumite: http://www.driveimiev.com/uploads/3/2/8/9/3289940/jenn_rod_pic.jpg
8%20...%200_orig.jpg

Thanks,

Jenn

So I attempted a full charge again last night as I had quite a bit of driving in store for today. I underestimated the time I needed for charging...again, but I started out with 80 miles RR. I had all 16 pips. I drove 16 miles into Manhattan, and when I pulled into the parking lot, my RR was 77. I only used up 3 miles of RR, and I used up two pips. The weather was good, no CC, speed varied from 15-40 mph, heavy traffic but not stop and go.

At the parking lot, I got the attendant to charge me up with their 220volt charger. My car was there for about 1 1/2 hours, but I am not certain exactly how long I was connected, or whether it was fully charged. When I got in the car, my RR was 99...Eureka.

Now, driving home, I did the same 16 miles with the AC on (very minimal), as it was very muggy and noisy(worked great BTW). My average speed was higher, 40-45, and I drove a bit more aggressively as traffic permitted. When I got back, my RR was 83, so I used up 16 miles of RR driving 16 miles. Pretty good, I thought using AC.

85 is a high as i have been but i have never had a tank of just in the city driving i am always out on the highway at some point.

jennrod12 said:
OMG - 99 miles RR - where is the picture?!?!?!?! :lol:

Jenn
I got the shot...I just gotta figure out how to upload it.

I know...no shot, it didn't happen.

fjpod, good for you! Sounds as though you were stuck in heavy traffic before the recharge, consuming a small amount over time and maybe giving us a hint as to the RR algorithm. At low speeds, our iMiEV is truly the energizer bunny!

Back