I Miss My Miev...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyflyjohn

We're currently on vacation, traveling in the NW with a 33' motorhome and a Honda CRV tow car. Our new Miev sits home, 12V battery disconnected. We've gone from driving around town in the Miev, recharging for free from our home solar system, to pumping hundreds of dollars of gas into the motorhome and CRV. What a change ! Not pleasant.

The contrast really brings home the difference between gas and electric and how much more progress is needed to electrify bigger vehicles for economy and the environment. I look forward to diesel / electric motorhomes that are at least partially rechargable and run off of a small diesel which powers electric drive motors. O well, at least we can look forward to returning home and the gas bills dropping to almost nothing again.... :p

If I was travelling in a motorhome, I think the i would be right behind me on a small trailer - You might as well get something for the price you're paying for your overnight RV spaces . . . . recharging the i for free sure beats putting gas in the CRV

Don

Thought about that. Trailering a car has it's own problems. Plus, the Miev is strictly a town car. Imagine trying to find a charging station in the middle of Montana...

psyflyjohn said:
Thought about that. Trailering a car has it's own problems. Plus, the Miev is strictly a town car. Imagine trying to find a charging station in the middle of Montana...

Aside from the need to use a trailer instead of flat towing, I think that the i would make an excellent tadpole (plus with a trailer you can back up if desired). Finding a Level II charging station is as easy as finding an RV park if you use portable EVSE such as the SPX, and Level 1 is EVerywhere. Seattle EVA members traveled to Mexico and back in an EV last winter, charging mostly at RV parks. If Mitsu EVer markets a North American version of their inverter to power household appliances off of the traction pack, an EV tadpole could offer much greater utility than a gasser.

We're presently on holiday in Scotland. No EVs were available for hire and, even though I asked for and rented what's supposed to be a small car (Vauxhall Corsa), do I sure miss the fantastic turning radius of the iMiEV! Like the Joni Mitchell song goes, "...don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone"

Regarding towing, why not put the back wheels on a short trailer and pull the car backwards with only it's front wheels on the floor ?

Llecentaur said:
Regarding towing, why not put the back wheels on a short trailer and pull the car backwards with only it's front wheels on the floor ?
Why not indeed? Nothing comes to mind, aside from the wear and tear on the suspension, steering, and those pricey little tires :roll:

Back