i-MiEV Custom Accessories

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiev

I want to get these items from the dealer. let me know what you think? Anyone use them?

Side Window Deflectors: Pro: This one will reduce wind when you drive with open windows. Cons: I don't know if it will effect the areodynamics of the MiEV. Anyone use these before on another car? What your thoughts?

LED Illumination Kit, Floor (Blue) Pro: It looks really cool. Cons: It will take more power out of the battery. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have been considering installing side window deflectors as well. For those of us who drive mostly in urban settings, aerodynamics isn't as important as for those who drive mostly at freeway speeds. In any event, I would be surprised if the additional drag would be measurable in terms of reduced range.

The power required to propel an EV is so much greater than that required to power most 12 v. loads, especially low-power LED's, that I would be surprised if a reduction in range could be measured when the LED illumination is on. I have considered replacing the daytime running/fog lights with LED versions, but I realize that I would likely not notice any range increase.

alohart said:
The power required to propel an EV is so much greater than that required to power most 12 v. loads, especially low-power LED's, that I would be surprised if a reduction in range could be measured when the LED illumination is on. I have considered replacing the daytime running/fog lights with LED versions, but I realize that I would likely not notice any range increase.
Yeah, that is another thing. Is there any way to turn the fog light off during the day? I could not turn off.

thanks

The fog lights are only on when the low beam headlights are on, and only then if you manually turn them on. There is a miniature, secondary bulb in the same housing which provides the DRL . . . . that bulb draws very little current and the power used is worth it for the increased daytime visibility. IMO, the DRL's should be mandatory on all cars here, just as they are in Canada

Don

camiev said:
Side Window Deflectors: Pro: This one will reduce wind when you drive with open windows. Cons: I don't know if it will effect the areodynamics of the MiEV. Anyone use these before on another car? What your thoughts?
I just recently purchased and installed a full set of OEM i-MiEV side window wind deflectors from an auto parts retailer on eBay. It was $35 for the full set (front, rear, left & right sides). Much better than the $80 the dealer wants (plus installation). The instructions were very easy to follow. I love the deflectors! I can drive with the windows partially open without a ton of air blowing through the cabin. Normally, I love driving with all the windows open, but my oldest daughter hates it because it whips her hair around. After installing the deflectors, I can drive with all four windows partially down (open about 1.5"-2"), get my fresh air, and my daughter is happy! Other benefits include getting fresh air while it is raining out. Leaving the windows cracked while parked outside during the summer. And the deflectors enhance the swoop of the roof line and make the MiEV look pretty cool. I like it!

I definitely recommend getting them if you're considering them. I know they are kind of hard to see, but here is a recent photo of my MiEV with the deflectors installed. I really dig the look!

IMG_1377%20%282%29-L.jpg

http://stores.ebay.com/MitsuPartsWorld/I-Miev-/_i.html?_fsub=3048230014&_sid=996478544&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

This link is for all the different parts they sell.

This is the eBay retailer from whom I purchased my deflectors. They only had two sets left when I ordered mine, though. And they appear to be all out now. Maybe they'll get more in?

http://myworld.ebay.com/alphaautomotive?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

sandange said:
RobbW
Looks really nice

How difficult was the install?
It wasn't too bad. The only part that gave me any trouble were these little metal clips that install on the underside of the deflector and clip it to the metal door frame. They are a bit of a pain to get at especially if you have bigger hands. On the very last deflector, I discovered a method for attaching the clips that I wished I had discovered from the very beginning. It would have gone a lot smoother!

The only other issue I had was with the front deflectors. The instructions state and illustrate a very specific method for inserting/installing the very front edge of the deflector so that there is no gap between the car and deflector which could allow rain to drip through. Getting the front edge to install perfectly flush as instructed was difficult. I was not able to get it exactly flush, but good enough. After installation, I went back with some window silicone sealant for a CYA seal at the spot where there was a very minor gap.

I love the deflectors, though, and any pain/hardship to install them was definitely worth it.

Does anyone have the floor or radio LED kits? I've been thinking of getting them. Wonder why they're not Mitsubishi's signature red?

I'm also thinking of changing all the lights to LED. I was surprised to find the side marker lights are incandescent. I thought they were LED.

I have changed all my lights to LEDs. :D Interior and exterior. Only thing left is the Headlights and parking light located in the headlight module. I am having some trouble trying understand some the stuff I have read here on people who changed to HID headlights on how they got the headlight module out of the car tho. Looks like two places to unscrew but I guess their is a third place also. You will need resisters to fool the computer when you change the turn signals front and rear to get rid of hyper flash. V-LEDS.com has LED headlights that are 30% brighter than Halogen. The fog /DRL are wierd bulbs and am having some trouble trying to figure out how to change to LEDs. At least the DRLs would be the ones to change. :roll: I don't use the fog lights that much. :eek:

Getting the headlights out is a pain and a really poor design. The short answer is to remove the front bumper cover to reach the third screw. There is a post somewhere that talks about sneaking the screw out by pulling back on the cover, but if you need to get at both lamps, it's just as easy to pull the bumper cover off. You need to pull the front wheel well liners out (plastic push pins). All of the attaching hardware little plugs have a center screw that needs to be backed out to release the plug. There also is one push pin in each liner which holds the liner and bumper cover to the front fender. The bumper cover has 8 remaining push pins and four bolts left to remove. You also need to disconnect the turnsignal (and fog lights if you have them) connectors on each side of the car. The connectors are near the foglights. The bumper cover just lifts off so you need a padded place to put it down--hang on to it before you remove the last upper push pins and lift it off the clips at the fender. The upper screws for the headlights are under little covers that pop off of the black garnish between the windshield and the hood. If you look at them I believe they just have to be loosened enough to get the headlight out after removing the other two screws. If you take them all the way out, they are a pain to get back in without dropping them. Disconnect the wire connectors at each headlamp assembly and lift them out. Like I said, a really poor design to replace something like a light bulb---I guess that's why the owners manual says to see the dealer if you have a burned out bulb.

When you had the headlights out, did you happen to find tbe low beam adjustment actuators? I remember hearing that the global version has on the fly low-beam adjustments, like the LEAF. I was wondering if there was hope to restore that functionality.

Mitchs8601 said:
The fog /DRL are wierd bulbs and am having some trouble trying to figure out how to change to LEDs. At least the DRLs would be the ones to change. :roll: I don't use the fog lights that much. :eek:
I thought the fog/DRL bulbs were already LEDs. No?

Robb goe to v-leds.com or any other site that sell LEDs and they will refer you to Sylvania website. Their you will find your cars list of bulbs. The only LEDs are the rear lights and brake lights on this car. All others are bulbs.
I'm going to take a picture of my DRL bulb and send it to v-leds and see if they can tell me what I have.
siai47 thanks for the info. While I have the bumper off I can figure out the DRL mess.
I ordered the LED headlights both low and high beams. Got to figure out that little parking light in the
housing also. ;) ;)

You're right. I just checked the specs on the Mitsu site (halogen DRL). Don't know where I got the idea they were LED.

I was rather disappointed when looking into the lights. Only the left/right tail/brake lights are LED's. The turns, backup, center brake, and all marker lights are incandescent. I thought the markers and center brake light were LED, but they're not. They are the W5W license plate lightbulb. Here are LED versions of that bulb if anyone's interested.

http://store.ledoption.com/168-194-2825-W5W-T10-LED-Bulbs-For-Car-p/l000.htm

You need:
4 for center brake light
4 for side markers (not including headlight markers)
2 for license plate lights

Never been to the site you listed, but they look good. Size issue is a factor in the front amber marker lights . Also make sure that you get LEDs the same color as the lenses. The backup lights are 7440 and easy to replace too. The rear light module isn't hard to remove. :D The license plate lights housing is plastic and has to slide to the side. Caution on not breaking the tab on it. :eek: DE3175 is the interior map and dome light bulb. These are very easy to do. 3 LEDs necessary for that job. HAVE FUN!

Back