How to remove hubcaps?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennrod12

Maybe a dumb question, but I don't want to mess up my new car!

A couple of the hubcaps are so close to the valve stem that I can't add air to the tires. Do I just pry them off, then rotate them a few millimeters and push them back on?

This is on the ES model, I don't think the high class folks have hubcaps on the SE. :cool:

Thanks,

Jenn

Jenn:

First, as your car is under warranty, I would take it to the dealer to have them check the wheel covers. Have them show you the correct way to remove and reinstall. I suspect they were not put on right. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB-11-00-006) specifically for wheel cover alignment.

The procedure in the bulletin states an alignment tab was added to the wheel rim near the valve stem. A corresponding locating boss is on the rear surface of the wheel cover which fits over the wheel alignment tab to ensure proper alignment.

1. A valve stem icon is located on the rear surface to indicate the proper opening for the valve stem. Align the valve stem with the triangle mark on the face of the wheel cover by this opening. Position the valve stem inboard of the retaining wire. Make sure the valve is not pinched between the wheel cover and the retaining wire.
2. Position the locating boss (on rear of wheel cover, looks like a square with one side missing) over the alignment tab (on wheel). Look at the distance from the valve stem to the alignment tab on the wheel to get an idea of where to look for the locating boss on the back of the wheel cover.
3. Press the wheel cover onto the wheel until it is fully seated.

Again, this is an adjustment that would be covered by your dealer under warranty. Let them check the wheel covers and show you how to remove and reinstall.

Thanks, Archie!

I'll try to get to the dealer this week before I attempt a long drive on Sunday. I'll want to pump up those tires for the drive.

Jenn

The hub caps are referenced to the valve stems/TPMS sensors. They are easily removed by grabbing the plastic cover near the outer rim and giving them a good yank. They are a real bear to put back on because they are flexible. Be aware of the steel ring behind the plastic stand offs on the hub caps. It goes around the aluminum valve stem and does not come in contact. Tire pressures are located on the drivers side door opening.

Back