How to install / where to buy USB add on

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olagon

Anyone have tips on where to buy and how to install the USB drive to enable thumb drives to connect to the stereo? Thanks!

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/mitsubishi-i-miev-accessories-interior/263-mitsubishi-i-miev-usb-audio-cable-kit-accessories-shop.html
About $125.

But I don't know any instructions.
My local dealer's service department quoted me $145 for the kit v.s. the $125 on the net.
They quoted $150 for installing it. That either means it's about an hour and a half to two hour job, or they're covering their ass because they fon't really know how complicated it is, or they're just charging what the think the traffic will bear. IMO probably the last two.

I believe SOMEONE here may have actually installed this kit. Hope the'll chime in... As I'm interested too.

Alex

acensor said:
http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/mitsubishi-i-miev-accessories-interior/263-mitsubishi-i-miev-usb-audio-cable-kit-accessories-shop.html
About $125.

Thanks! It seems like this is a worthwhile upgrade. Hoping someone who installed it can share :)

Or for those that have it, how does it work? If I use for audio books. will it remember where the last track left off?

Thanks!

joev said:
This may help.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Installation/MZ360382EX_I-MIEV_PG1.pdf

Thanks! That looks easy enough. Going to consider picking one up.

acensor said:
I believe SOMEONE here may have actually installed this kit. Hope the'll chime in... As I'm interested too.
I installed it on my ES. The process is incredibly simple.

1. Pop off the top cover of the radio with your hands.
2. Remove the two Phillips screws holding the radio in place.
3. Retract the radio far enough to attach one side of the USB cable. Try not to unplug the antenna -- that's what they're using as the radio's ground!
4. Pop off the HVAC controls with your hands.
5. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the driver's side knee bolster.
6. Pop off the center console with your hands.
7. Pop off the cap for the USB port and put the new USB port in its place.
8. Attach the other side of the USB cable to the back of the port.
9. Reverse these instructions to put everything back together.

Elapsed time: 15-20 minutes, tops. After doing it once, I could likely do it in 5 minutes.

When it's all installed, press the CD button until the USB or iPod indicator shows up on the display. That's it!

aarond12 said:
Elapsed time: 15-20 minutes, tops. After doing it once, I could likely do it in 5 minutes.

When it's all installed, press the CD button until the USB or iPod indicator shows up on the display. That's it!

Thanks! Ordered me a unit :)

joev said:
This may help.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Installation/MZ360382EX_I-MIEV_PG1.pdf

Very detailed illustrations.

But I'm already flummoxed at the ver first diagram.
Can't figure out what they're trying to show.... That you should put tape all over the seam that's in the diagram?? :?:
Alex

aarond12 said:
acensor said:
I installed it on my ES. The process is incredibly simple........

.......Elapsed time: 15-20 minutes, tops. After doing it once, I could likely do it in 5 minutes.

Wow! Thanks. The diagrams made it look so much more complicated than your directions.

Alex

aarond12I installed it on my ES. The process is incredibly simple. Elapsed time: 15-20 minutes said:
By the way: Did you actually follow the standard operating proceedure of disconnecting the battery while doing this job? Granted it's not THAT big a deal to reprogram the clock and radio.. but a bit of a bother. And it seems like you wern't in any danger of shorting/grounding anything live while doing this. :?:

Alex

I did not disconnect the 12V battery. I did, however, disconnect the antenna. A small spark let me know they are using the antenna as a ground. (Not the worst thing to do, but that can introduce alternator noise... oh wait, we don't have an alternator!)

If you disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio, you will lose your preset radio stations and clock. You're not in any danger of shorting anything out. Mitsubishi may want you to disconnect the battery in the extremely rare case that you manage to energize one of the airbags. :eek:

aarond12 said:
I did not disconnect the 12V battery. I did, however, disconnect the antenna.........If you disconnect the antenna from the back of the radio, you will lose your preset radio stations and clock. You're not in any danger of shorting anything out. Mitsubishi may want you to disconnect the battery in the extremely rare case that you manage to energize one of the airbags. :eek:

Well, if I'm going to lose the radio stations and time anyway, might as well disconnect the battery. Takes only seconds, and in this case falls into "better safe than sorry" no matter how small the risk. ;)

Love this upgrade! Took me an hour to install. 15 mins trying to figure out how to open the hood so I can disconnect the battery, and 20 mins trying to follow the instructions on attaching the wire. Ended up just tucking it as neatly as I could.

The best part...I now have a USB charger for my phone!

For some reason, the sound system sounds much better coming from MP3s than from the radio, much better.

olagon said:
For some reason, the sound system sounds much better coming from MP3s than from the radio, much better.
Several very good reasons, actually

Your MP3's give you all digital left and right channels which are present 100% of the time, with no distortion from outside sources. Compare that to an FM Multiplex decoded signal which A.) Limits frequencies to no more than 15Khz, B.) Is a modulated FM signal, so it is affected by several different kinds of distortion (multi-path being the most significant) and C.) Since it's multiplexed, when we compare it to the signal we started with, we only get 50% of the left channel and 50% of the right channel - Left and right signals are present alternately, switched from one to the other at a 38Khz rate, so automatically, we're missing half of everything from the original audio source . . . . even if the station is playing CD's

http://transmitters.tripod.com/stereo.htm

You can compare the first panel of graphs - The bottom row in red is the left channel sending a 2Khz signal and in blue is the right channel sending an 8Khz signal - The upper line in black is the chopped output of the multiplex decoder. Both the 2Khz and 8Khz signals they sent are there . . . . sort of, but 50% of each is now missing. You can easily see the sine wave of the 2Khz signal, but the 8Khz signal is harder to pick out

Long story short - 100% of a left and right channel is always better than a 50% representation of each

No broadcast signal can even begin to compare to the quality of a digital source stored on a chip which is reproduced with zero distortion

Don

I got a coupon from them that is good until first week of June for 10% in case anyone wants to use it.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/
Here is your coupon: FLW-3-QPEX3HSFBI
Enter this code in your shopping cart to get your discount.

Back