Hello to all, new i-MiEV owner

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beespeckled

I live in the Puget Sound region of WA ST.

I'm hitting my 2 weeks of ownership as of tomorrow :) We had an outside plug-in installed on Friday. Dual 110's were installed with their own breakers at the electric meter. Our travel trailer is plugged in to the other outlet :)

My commute is approximately 20 miles RT and there are 4 ChargePoint stations available within walking distance of my work place.

The first week of ownership, I questioned my sanity in changing to an EV this soon. Now that we have the plug in situation taken care of, I'm feeling much more confident in my decision.
I'm not a planet warrior, but feel like this makes good environmental economic sense as my daily commute. I had range awareness/anxiety the first few days I drove it, but am starting to relax and drive like a normal person since I now have my plug-in situation under control :)

I've been lurking for a while now on this forum and have found the information very helpful.

Beespeckled,

Welcome to this forum and I-Miev ownership. I have owned our I-Miev for 6 months. Our town has about 30 level 2 chargers and one level 3 charger. Even with that, I find charging at home is my most satisfying option. I just like having a full charge before I start any excursion. Once I installed a level 2 in my garage, I no longer questioned my sanity for buying an EV. I have found a little “Range Anxiety” now and then much easier to deal with than having “Pain at the Pump” every week.

Dave

Welcome!

Yes, as you grow used to the car, 'range anxiety' quickly becomes a thing of the past. With only a modicum of pre-planning, you can go most anywhere, anytime without any worries

In case you're not aware, you can have your EVSE modified so you can charge at 12 amps (up from the stock 8) which cuts recharge times by 1/3rd. The same modification also allows you to use 240 volts at up to 12 amps which would cut your recharge times in half again. Details at http://www.evseupgrade.com

Since you have dual 120 volt outlets on separate breakers available, you could probably have a 240 outlet installed using those same two breakers, which would make your recharge times go from the current 21/22 hours down to about 6 or 7 hours - This makes it pretty easy to do 100 to 150 miles in a day if needed

Lots of help available here on the forum - Any questions about anything, feel free to ask!

Don

You also have the benefit of not getting robbed at the gas station. (Not talking about the outrageous gas prices.) There has been a number of incidents in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of just this.

Beespeckled, you'll be happier every day that you own your EV. My personal favorite is not having to get your oil changed every few months.

Howdy Beespeckled, come on by the Tacoma EV meeting tomorrow EVening (Weds 3/5), at the University Place library, 7pm. Or wait till next week for Seattle EVA, 7pm on Tuesday, 3/11. I'm happy to serve as a sounding board for any new MIEV'er.

Thank you for the warm Welcomes :)
Don, thank you for the upgrade info link. Not sure what is involved will have to re-read the info. I don't like the idea of sending my cord off to be retrofitted. I think I will see how I do with the standard cord for the time being, then re access whether I might like to get a proper L2 EVSE system setup since I have the infrastructure in place now. I hope I'm correct and that the L2 plug-in comes with the system? then I would have my original as backup for L1.

Jray, sorry to have missed the meeting. Unfortunately, another commitment on the first Wednesday of each month prevents me from easily getting across the bridge to U.P. Hoping I can plan it out better for next month.

We are getting torrential rains tonight, I had my DH hold the umbrella over me as I plugged the car in. Didn't want to get water on the ends when I was plugging in.

beespeckled said:
I don't like the idea of sending my cord off to be retrofitted. I think I will see how I do with the standard cord for the time being, then re access whether I might like to get a proper L2 EVSE system setup since I have the infrastructure in place now. I hope I'm correct and that the L2 plug-in comes with the system? then I would have my original as backup for L1.
You can borrow another cord while yours is away being upgraded - It takes less than a week

The upgrade comes with a new twistlock plug on your EVSE when it's returned to you. You then use a $15 adapter to plug it into a standard household 120 volt outlet, or a second $15 adapter to plug it into 240 volts for L2. In your garage, you can just install a $10 matching twistlock socket in place of your current 120 and 240 outlets and that way you can plug it in without any adapters and charge on either L1 or L2 at 12 amps whenever you wish

It's the least expensive, most versatile way to be able to charge L1 and L2 at home or away. I have no financial interest in the guys doing the upgrades . . . . just another satisfied customer. Probably 1/4th to 1/3rd of the readers on this forum have had this modification done

Don

beespeckled said:
Thank you for the warm Welcomes :)
Jray, sorry to have missed the meeting. Unfortunately, another commitment on the first Wednesday of each month prevents me from easily getting across the bridge to U.P. Hoping I can plan it out better for next month.
We are getting torrential rains tonight, I had my DH hold the umbrella over me as I plugged the car in. Didn't want to get water on the ends when I was plugging in.

Ah-ha, a Gig Harborer! The only trouble I've had in charging with our liquid humidity is that my first SPX-brand L2 EVSE housing wasn't completely waterproof, and the control board failed, resulted in a warranty claim (for the EVSE, not the car). Otherwise, the car and EVSE connector/handle spend more time wet than dry, and noo problems yet. The only time I'd be concerned about plugging in when wet would be in saltwater spray, though the EVSE would simply refuse to energize if there was a current leakage to ground. There's a few ChargePoint stations along the waterfront in Tacoma, but I haven't sought those out during a big windstorm yet!

You'd be welcome to borrow my L1 EVSE while yours is out for upgrade, if you choose that route. Otherwise, I've gotta give a plug to Manzanita Micro, who manufactures L2 EVSE just up the road from you in Kingston!
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/produ...ge.tpl&product_id=113&category_id=41&vmcchk=1

One thing to watch for with the upgrade. At least with mine, I ordered the L6-20 end on the EVSE with a 5-15 to L6-20 adapter, an L6-20 pigtail, and the L6-20 to L6-30 dogbone adapter. They ended up sending me the adapters with L6-30 ends, which means I have to use the dogbone in between the EVSE and the adapters. The explanation I got was that they were phasing out the L6-20 plug and therefore didn't have a supply of those adapters to send to me. This was last October, things may have changed, but follow my advice below.

So, when you order yours, get L6-30 ends on everything, it will save you the hassle and confusion. Other than that, I definitely recommend the upgrade.

Back