evse prices

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eventually I'll probably do both. Mod my original and get a permanent L2 in my garage.

We are having bad weather. After some days of snow it is raining cats and dogs and our i-MiEV is charging under the shower with the snout of the EVSE awfully wet.

Gripping the handle will drop the mains. Pulling the plug out will faster drop the mains than a drop of water can reach it. Should anything happen I still have the GFI taking care.

Lesson learned. I am still going to build something interesting but I am going to keep the EVSE just in case I am dancing in the rain again.

The EVSE was hanging at the doorknob taking a shower and not letting me in. So I had to unplug the car first.

Is there a 'near-perfect' Level 2 charger? By that I mean 6.6kW (30A?) charging with selectable nearly-full (80-90%?) charging and 100% charging, a kWh/charge readout and/or data logging, and good compatibility with all/most EV's - all for a reasonable cost?

What unit(s) come the closest to this wish-list?

Are you looking for a charger, or an EVSE?

For our factory built cars (iMiEV, Leaf, Tesla, Chevy Volt and plug in Prius) the chargers are built into the car and came with it - I think everything but the Tesla comes with 4Kw or smaller chargers. The onboard charger controls the charging process and directs the EVSE when to shut off - If the onboard charger has a provision for less than 100% charging, then you could charge the car that way, but if not, the EVSE can't do that by itself. With the J1772 protocol, the EVSE has no way of knowing the SOC of the battery - It's a 'smart cord' but not that smart ;)

Since you're building your own EV, once you find the onboard charger you want, you might want to look into building your own EVSE as well. Check out the Open EVSE website. There are folks there building 80 amp EVSE's to support the Tesla Model S which can be purchased with dual 10 Kw chargers onboard. If you have the cable and relays capable of handling 30, 50 or 80 amps, the EVSE brainbox can be programmed for whatever current you require. You could probably also build in a power monitoring display to go with it

Don

My mistake - a charging station is what I meant. EVSE is just another acronym that blends in too easily, in my mind. Thanks for the clarifications.

So, the charge level is a function of the onboard charger - are there any EVSE's that have a kWh meter built in?

Back