Do you feel ICE drivers bully the iMiev ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In two years having C-Zero and more than 50k km I have not had such unpleasant situation on the road. It seems to me, due to the strong publicity of electromobility drivers become tolerant and understanding to slightly slower EVs. Or maybe the reason is just more relaxed living here.

I had an unpleasant experience just this morning. Here in Oz we don't get too many large pickups, just stadard car sized 'utes' and HiLuxes. I've noticed recently though that there are an increasing number of Ford F250's.

Unfortunately the size of those appears to bear an inverse relation to the IQ of the person driving.

Merging onto a nice, new piece of road in an 80kmh zone there was a well lit roadwork ute, with a roadworker in the middle of the road, placing cones and closing off one lane of the road. The F250 drive, rather than slowing, decided to increase his speed at the point he was between me and the roadworker in order to block me joining this remaining lane.

Thank goodness for the iMievs torque, rapidly running out of road I was able to accelerate infront rather than having to squeeze him over and putting the road worker at risk.

He proceeded to tailgate so I slowed with regen and then gave another burst of torque to create a gap, only to see that throughout this he was slurping from a cup.
As we carried on along the road he then accelerated to well above the speed limit and began weaving through the slower traffic as if he was driving a hatchback.

I'm not sure quite why people feel the need for these vehicles beyond their considerable size, I rarely see them carring anything, hell you could keep an iMiev in the back as a tender for visiting the kerb! This was the most prime example of brain-dead motoring I've seen in a while, not sure the iMiev triggered his response though, I think he was just a douche looking for a place to happen.

The bigger the other vehicle, the worse it is. Yesterday morning, I had someone in a Chevy Equinox coming up a side road blow the stop sign, pulling right out in front of me, then proceeded to tailgate the VW Beetle in front of me. He was all over the road. I also had a pickup drag race me away from a stop light. He lost :mrgreen: .

most of the dicks in Perth behave just as badly to other drivers riders
generally Audis, BMWs, Holden SSes and Statesmans cos they have V8s in them, RAV4 Sports
harleys, sports bikes
I believe that they just can't help it, the car just wants to go.

generally anything with word "sport" on it.
the people are generally sports people who are also amped up.
they tend to do things faster and want to get to places faster.
basically type A personality.

one good thing about having a relatively underpowered vehicle (ie. 0 - 100 above 10secs) is that one is less likely to speed.
though I had my first speeding fine ever in my imiev.
next year my demerits will be wiped, can't wait.

WyVern said:
there are an increasing number of Ford F250's.
I'm not sure quite why people feel the need for these vehicles beyond their considerable size, I rarely see them carring anything, hell you could keep an iMiev in the back as a tender for visiting the kerb!

Indeed you are right Vern- I've measured and there is space for my i inside of my F250, along with sufficient load capacity! Just for fun, I intend to build the blocks and ramps that will be needed to load the i and straddle the truck's wheel wells.

HowEVer, there are many other projects ahead of this one on the list.

I got the big truck for a number of reasons, but will enumerate just a few. I have rural property, and for tasks such as renting a tractor, the rental houses will insist on an expensive delivery unless you have a 3/4 ton truck or larger to tow with. The truck supports my EV racing hobby, pulling a heavy enclosed trailer. It was also a very good buy. This one is an indirect injected diesel, which will run on anything greasy, and it is all mechanical, so it's the zombie apocalypse/neutron bomb special. Bump start the thing without a battery and pour in some melted fat, and it'll run till the fuel goes extinct....

Plus it's just fun to challenge people's assumptions. I'm a professional tree hugger and penny pincher, so you can imagine the reactions when I show up driving the big old oil burner from time to time when they've only seen me in MR BEAN before... :eek:

Back