Cracked Windshield :(

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlink

A stone hit and cracked my i-MiEV's windshield yesterday. Its over a foot long crack now, so I'm going to have to drill the end of the crack to keep it from getting to the driver's side. Of course you can't get a replacement anywhere except from a Mitsubishi dealer. I'm betting this is going to be expensive. I noticed the only place advertising replacements is Harris Mitsubishi dealer in Everett, WA. Has anyone else had this occur yet?

jjlink said:
A stone hit and cracked my i-MiEV's windshield yesterday. . . . Has anyone else had this occur yet?
Not yet, but this is an interesting problem, and one that will grow more important to all of us over time. Please keep us up to date.

Service and repair has been my biggest worry since it became clear that this car was moving in such small numbers. I'm glad that the drivetrain is fairly low maintenance, but that doesn't help with tires, body work, and other replacement parts, so many of which are unique to this car (unlike, e.g., a Focus Electric). Mitsubishi's no charity, but I hope they make some effort to keep the gouging on i-MiEV owners to a tolerable level. We believed in them and supported a project they've said is of some importance to them, so I think they look pretty bad if we wind up getting screwed. If claims experience on events like this is bad enough, we could be looking at higher insurance bills in years to come.

Nope- though I've got a whopper of a rock star right on center, and a quick resin repair has held for 5 months now. If it makes it through a summer as well I'll be relieved. Anyway, makes a nice place for my iphone suction cup mount... I've been impressed by the aftermarket windshield trade in the past, and am optimistic that parts won't be hard to find in the age of global e-bay and whatnot (but have yet to even find a photo of the JDM i AWD front axle that I'm quite curious about)...

jray3 said:
Nope- though I've got a whopper of a rock star right on center, and a quick resin repair has held for 5 months now.... I've been impressed by the aftermarket windshield trade in the past, and am optimistic that parts won't be hard to find in the age of global e-bay and whatnot...
Oh, I would think hard on that one, my friend. The windshield is most definitely one of the parts affected by the North American widening, so does not match the windshield of any other i-MiEV in the world. And with a customer base of literally hundreds :lol: , a replacement windshield isn't coming from anywhere but Mitsubishi themselves - bet on it. Just being the paranoid soul I am, I would get that windshield replaced pronto if insurance will cover it; that repair might fail and replacement costs a few years down the road could well skyrocket.

Too bad these guys are 845 miles away (about 12 hours 48 mins).

http://www.harrismitsubishinw.com/article/mitsubishi-imiev-windshield-replacement-seattle-wa-98118-harris-mitsubishi/48,56,98118,43,1115/

I'm sure the guys in this area are going to want top dollar for a replacement. With $500 deductible on my insurance policy its bound to cost $$$.

I come from discovering the side windows are very narrow. I have a hamradio antenna that rides on the partly opened window. Put it on the glass. Close the clamp on the antenna and close the window again. The i-MiEV windows are too narrow. The antenna wont clamp.

I dont dare using this antenna on the car. Too fragile I guess. On the other hand they are light. That saves energy.

The local Mitsubishi dealer's parts department has ordered me a replacement windshield from Mitsubishi's Los Angeles where-house at a cost of $550. Plus like $80 for the window's rubber gasket (which might be needed). I'm not sure how much the installation will cost yet.

:idea: Today I checked for an windshield installer I was surprised to see that www.safelite.com now lists the i-MiEV. I don't know the price or availability; but its a good omen. If I have them install the windshield I bought from Mitsubishi parts I will ask them if they can really get them and what price is.

jjlink said:
:idea: Today I checked for an windshield installer I was surprised to see that http://www.safelite.com now lists the i-MiEV. I don't know the price or availability; but its a good omen. If I have them install the windshield I bought from Mitsubishi parts I will ask them if they can really get them and what price is.

FYI many auto insurers in the US are very easygoing and fast about covering windshield replacement .... So even if stuck with dealing withe Mitsubishi if you have comprehensive coverage might not be a horror show.

Hey, let use know what they quote for parts and labor?

Alex

jjlink said:
The local Mitsubishi dealer's parts department has ordered me a replacement windshield from Mitsubishi's Los Angeles where-house at a cost of $550. Plus like $80 for the window's rubber gasket (which might be needed). I'm not sure how much the installation will cost yet.
Ouch! Much as we'd feared, it would seem. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on this instructive experience. Interesting note on Safelite, too. It would be interesting to see if they can do the whole job for less.

JoeS said:
siai47, thanks for posting. The only good use for the second wiper IMO is to hold the sunshade in place. Late last week something struck my windshield and I now have a nasty horizontal crack spreading dead center across the whole windshield. The glass replacement outfit showed up yesterday with a new windshield(!), but they were missing the plastic edge strips so hopefully they'll come back and do the job this week. After that's done, I'll be tempted to do siai47's mod, even though we now probably won't see any rain until October.

Was it hard/expensive to get the windshield glass?

olagon said:
JoeS said:
siai47, thanks for posting. The only good use for the second wiper IMO is to hold the sunshade in place. Late last week something struck my windshield and I now have a nasty horizontal crack spreading dead center across the whole windshield. The glass replacement outfit showed up yesterday with a new windshield(!), but they were missing the plastic edge strips so hopefully they'll come back and do the job this week. After that's done, I'll be tempted to do siai47's mod, even though we now probably won't see any rain until October.

Was it hard/expensive to get the windshield glass?
I turned it over to the insurance company and the glass-replacement outfit immediately made an appointment with me for two working days later for replacement at my house. They showed up with the windshield (which amaxed me) but upon inspecting my i-MiEV they allowed as they also needed the plastic edging around the perimeter of the windshield because they will damage the existing edging when removing the windshield. Their follow-up phonecall said it was a special-order from Mitsubishi and they hoped to get it approved (by the insurance company) and rescheduled me for next week.

Regarding cost, I have $100 deductible for glass breakage on my policy.

The crack keeps spreading to the right as time goes on...

MitsiWindshieldCrack.jpg

Back