Cooling pump excessive run time

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodawari

Hello, wondering if anyone has seen this behavior on their car: I return home from a ~ 6 mile drive on local roads (35-40 MPH speeds) with the air conditioning running. Back into the garage, turn off the air conditioning, put the car in park, and notice the cooling circulation pump is running. This happens periodically and sometimes for longer periods depending on the battery pack temperature. However, today the pump just kept running. I sat and waited as I had never heard it run this long. After ~ 3-4 minutes, it was still running. I then turned off the key and the pump shut down. When I "started" the car again, the pump was not running (which is what I would expect).
My question is, has anyone seen their cooling circulation pump run so long after not such a long drive? Should I be concerned that some relay/sensor is on its way out by allowing this pump to run so long. Curious if anyone has seen similar behavior.
Thanks,
Matthew

Malm said:
Yes, it happens with me after long trips and hot weather. The pump keeps running until I switch off the car.

Hello Malm, How long have you seen the pump run for (more than ten minutes)? Do you have any concern that this pump running for a really long time is draining the batteries too quickly? Will the pump ever shut down on its own or must the car be shut off...

Thanks!

I don't know. I waited some time like you and the I get tired of waiting and toked out the key and it stopped. The energy that the car uses in this process should be very low, so I think the impact on autonomy should be very little.

Kodawari said:
This happens periodically and sometimes for longer periods depending on the battery pack temperature.
Shouldn't have anything to do with the battery pack temperature - The cooling system cools the motor and charger/inverter . . . . doesn't have anything to do with the battery pack

Don

Back