Charging outside in the rain

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogMan12

I don't see any mention in the manual about NOT charging in the rain... has anyone had any problems? I have covered the brick (with air space for cooling) and closed a plastic bag in the rear door and rear hatch, covering the plug-in. A waste of time?

I keep my brick inside while charging. No problems with the rain drowning the gun with juice flowing.

Lightning, that's a different story. ;)

I have a plastic box that protects the outlet connection since that's probably the most vulnerable spot. The brick is exposed, but I use the little rope to hang it on the side of the house so it won't be in a puddle or anything.

Covered outlet - check. Brick on a plastic milk crate; no grounding chance - check. Car connector deemed all-weather - check. I'll release that worry. thanks.

psyflyjohn, I know you intended humor, but you'd be amazed at how easily people can be frightened by this topic. The J1772 standard was developed with all-weather operation being one of the requirements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Safety

If I recall, the only issue we've had on this forum is the water-resistance of the SPX EVSE (I have one) and not the J1772 connector itself. If your EVSE is mounted outdoors, even if it is outdoor-rated, it is a good idea to provide it with a bit of rain protection. When charging outdoors with my Mitsu EVSE, I usually keep it inside the car and run the two cords through the window.

Back