Charging cable pulled out when car started moving

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FiddlerJohn said:
I have had this "charging cable pulled out" issue five times
Dude. How do you do this more than once?

GdB said:
This is really a design flaw and maybe a safety issue that Mitsubishi should address.
So, how would you prefer it to behave? Make it unable to shift at all while plugged in?

We had a similar problem 30 years ago when we bought a Mazda rotary. Several times in the first month or two, we would find ourselves trying to start it when it was already running . . . . the rotary engine really was that quiet - A loud 'Ding-Ding' to let us know it was ready to be driven would have really been a big help with that car, but eventually we got used to the necessary 'pre-flight checks' (checking the tachometer before turning the key again) so we didn't have problems grinding the starter against an already running engine

The recent landing of the Boeing 777 with the gear up reminded me of this issue - It's a pilot training issue IMO. Cars are already more idiot proof than I like them. I've always had manual transmission cars and I can remember well when we bought our '69 Chevelle SS 396. It was the first car we owned where you had to push the clutch pedal down to be able to start the engine. You literally had to push it all the way to the floor, which wasn't easy to do, especially for my wife with her less than long legs - We cussed that 'government intervention' into our motoring needs the whole time we had that car

Don

GdB said:
This is really a design flaw and maybe a safety issue that Mitsubishi should address.
So, how would you prefer it to behave? Make it unable to shift at all while plugged in?[/quote]

Park should be disabled when the j1772 cord is plugged in.

Since you can't get ready while plugged in, this should have been obvious to the Mitsubishi engineers.

You can't expect an i-MiEV owner to have the same level of training, awarness, alertness as a pilot.

Don said:
...It was the first car we owned where you had to push the clutch pedal down to be able to start the engine....
That negated one of the great safety features of a manual transmission - the ability to grind a stalled car out of the way (I had averted such a seriously dangerous situation by doing just that many years ago when my Austin Healey stalled in a massive rainstorm). I disabled that clutch switch on my Trooper by replacing it with a manual switch - great theft preventer as well.

Back on topic, GdB, I think we simply agree to disagree as to the necessity for further 'safety' interlocks. Hmm, I'll have to see if any other EVs have that potential, as there might be a market for a breakaway J1772 connector (another little profit center for EVSEUpgrade, perhaps). :geek:

JoeS said:
GdB, I think we simply agree to disagree as to the necessity for further 'safety' interlocks. Hmm, I'll have to see if any other EVs have that potential, as there might be a market for a breakaway J1772 connector (another little profit center for EVSEUpgrade, perhaps). :geek:

How about a loud annoying buzzer when trying to start with the charger plugged in? Sort of like the grinding noise your starter makes when the engine is already running.

I hope you can at least agree on that.

I can't think of any situation where this flaw is needed.

Leave your foot on the floor, insert key, turn key, listen for the gong / look for the green ready and the lack of 5 or 6 red light items.

Step on brake, move the shift lever.

GdB said:
How about a loud annoying buzzer when trying to start with the charger plugged in? Sort of like the grinding noise your starter makes when the engine is already running.
Sure, and if we had over-the-air updates like a Tesla this would be a simple inexpensive software update as the sensors are there already. IMO, certainly not something worthy of a recall by Mitsubishi. With all the $$$ recalls by all the manufacturers, I really don't know how they stay in business...

GdB said:
We already have the 'loud annoying buzzer' - It goes 'Ding-Ding' to tell you the car is ready to drive - If you don't hear it, it isn't!. Another buzzer would add unwanted and unnecessary complexity . . . . then you might mistake one buzzer for the other and take the car out of Park when it isn't ready to drive. Humans (especially OLD humans) are easily confused and so long as the car made a noise, I could see lots more people than we have now with this exact problem. Simple is better, more complex is bad

Don

Where I park is totally level and indoors so no issue. If it wasn't this is what I would do;

Get myself a set of RV wheel blocks (the kind that are jointed together to fit on either side of a wheel but move together). Add a nice waist high handle so I don't have to bend over to move them.

1. Drive up park.
2. Slide in wheel blocks at rear tire near charging port.
3. plug in car.
Next morning
4. unplug car
5. move wheel blocks out of the way.
6. Go on may way

If one forgets #4, no harm, no foul. Car can't roll . . . problem solved. ;)

Aerowhatt

I agree that's a better solution than modifying 100% of the cars at the factory, when this isn't a problem for 99% of the owners

Don

Paint the J1772 connector fluorescent orange or neon green. Then it'd be easily visible in the passenger side mirror if it was still plugged in :cool: .

Or park so you have to walk past the charge port to get into the car. Maybe do both.

PV1 said:
Paint the J1772 connector fluorescent orange or neon green. Then it'd be easily visible in the passenger side mirror if it was still plugged in :cool: .
Someone who cannot remember to listen for the 'Ding-Ding' before shifting the car out of Park would not likely remember to look in the passenger mirror either . . . .

The wheel chocks around the passenger rear tire (near the EVSE plug) sounds like the best solution to me - That doesn't require remembering anything

Don

Again, change your procedure. "Start" the car, listen for the ding, look for the ready, then apply the brake and shift out of park.

Do it for 2 or 3 days and it'll be natural.

In mass production, they say visual inspection is almost useless to notice fine details. After repetitively seeing something over and over, you brain tunes out.

The same with starting you car, by repetition, eventually you don't notice the details. Sure I have long since adjusted my habits to avoid easy accidental destruction, but I'd rather not have this flaw. Anyone new that I let drive it has to be trained to avoid this flaw that appears to be unique to this model.
https://forums.tesla.com/en_CA/forum/forums/driving-while-connected-charging

And so far no one arguing with me has pointed out any advantage other than save a few bucks in cost of manufacturing.

GdB said:
And so far no one arguing with me has pointed out any advantage other than save a few bucks in cost of manufacturing.

There is no advantage that's for certain. I believe it's an over-site born from perhaps not testing on a slope (crazy as that sounds). Everything I have ever purchased has had an "over-site" or two. Best to find a fool proof work around of my own, rather than look to the manufacturer to address it IMO. What is needed to get it addressed by a big manufacturer is multiple deaths and serious injuries linking back to the over-site, including lawsuits. Then maybe . . .

Aerowhatt

Lawsuits will never eliminate the darwin awards :D

Nothing at the gas station prevents you from driving away with the nozzle in your tank. Nothing prevents you from pumping gas with a cigarette in your hand, other than the sign that says no smoking. Kinda like the red lights on your dashboard...

:D I managed to roll our Imiev down our driveway after turning the ignition and putting it in drive while still plugged in, and ruined the charger in the process.

It does seem to me like you shouldn't be able to take it out of park while charging, but that's just not how it works.

We've implemented a rule at our house now that we must put a block in front of the rear tire near the charging port while charging. That way, we can't roll down the hill thinking all is well while still plugged in.

Back