Car alarm System ?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standard NA alarm system seems like a pretty minimal device in that it will honk the horn and maybe flash the lights if a door is opened while the alarm is armed, but nothing more. How likely is it that a thief would steal an i-MiEV? Probably less likely than most cars, so how valuable is our alarm?

In Hawaiʻi, a common type of car theft is smash-and-grab; i.e., break a window, reach in, and steal something without opening a door. The Honda alarm on my Insight includes a microphone that detects the sound of breaking glass which would also trigger the alarm. I've read nothing about the i-MiEV alarm including such a microphone, so I'm assuming that a smash-and-grab theft would unfortunately not trigger its alarm. Is this correct?

I agree with the remark that the iMiev is not really a target for theft, I was more looking for some protection for any laptop or so inside or to give some warning if somebody bumped the car while you are in the next building...

I will test to leave the window open, lock the car and see if there is some warning if the door lock is opened.

Thank you

To trigger the alarm when the car is bumped would require some sort of motion sensor. My Honda alarm does not include a motion sensor which is probably a good thing because so many false auto alarms are triggered by gusts of wind, even caused by a truck driving by. It must be difficult to set the motion sensor sensitivity to avoid false alarms yet to trigger an alarm when it's appropriate. I haven't read that the i-MiEV alarm includes a motion sensor.

Llecentaur said:
I was more looking for some protection for any laptop or so inside . . . .
Having driven a Miata for 15 years, I can tell you that theft protection for anything left visible in any car is . . . . don't do it!

Since a Miata is a convertible and very easily broken into, I've never once locked the doors on mine so it pretty much goes without saying that I never leave *anything* in the passenger compartment - Even a cheap pair of sunglasses left where someone could see them is an open invitation to a thief. If someone wants to check out the inside of my car, I prefer he does so without cutting the top or breaking any glass, so I *hope* he tries just opening the door first!

In the iMiEV, I do lock the car, but I still leave nothing visible inside. I don't think I would ever leave something like a laptop in the car, but if I did, it would be wrapped in a towel and stuffed under the passenger seat . . . . with the doors locked of course

Car alarms seem pretty useless to me - I can't count the number of times I've heard them honking and flashing in parking lots while someone (the owner, or maybe the thief?) tries his/her best to get them to shut up! I've even helped a few people (owners I hope!) silence the annoying noises they make

Don

Speaking of locking things, I'm sure most of you know how to keep the Mitsu L1 EVSE from walking away:

MitsiChgrLock.jpg

Definitely agree on the relative efficiency of alarm systems.

To hide things from sight, it would also help to have a trunk cover, or in our case, I am going to pit a 20% window filter for the back and two passenger sides. That shoukd help keep things cooler in summer and de facto makes the content of the boot practically invisible.

Excellent idea for the charging unit !

My model is a lighter setup and has no quick charging system. Which means that the opening on the rear left is free as well as some space below the boot deck. Might make sense to fit this unit in there and just run a cable into the car, but that would mean to bi-wire the EVSE inputs, not sure it is so easy to make.

Anybody knows why they have not gone the same way as some Renaults where you have a cable coming out of the car and into the wall with no expensive EVSE unit or plug to tempt nasty minds ?

Back