Can't seem to get a handle on using the remote control

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

:?

Been through the manual... several times.

For a while I was at least able to turn charging off and on with the remote.
And I can still turn on heat.

But the way it used to "send commands" to the car (when I, say, turned off charger on the remote and then briefly pressed the top button on the side (the one the manual calls the "power/communication switch" it would beep once and send the command. Now it doesn't beep. And when I try to turn off charging (set it to "off" in the remove and press the communication button) when I return to the charging status screen (the screen that first comes on when turning on the remote)on the remote it shows charging to be "on."

So for the moment I'm limited to controlling charging by walking into the garage and plugging the charger in or out of the car.

Is my remote broken, or did I somehow disable the beep, or what?

I'd go into the dealer and make them train me me what's going on but since I purchased my MiEV 250 miles from the local dealer, and the only ones familiar with the MiEV are the sales staff (4 of them own leased MiEVs) not the service staff, it would be be both a bit unfair as well as awkward to ask a sales person locally for help, when I gave his commission to an out of town dealer.
(They just didn't have local stock or as competitive pricing locally.)

Officially the selling dealer had a specific responsibility to familiarize me with the controls, and made me sign off that they had done so... but in reality not so. I'm sure they'd have been happy to do so, but I wasn't going to travel 600 miles roundtrip for a tutorial. ;)
Any ideas?

Note added/edited a week later to report issue resolved AND to report source of confusion... In case some other newbie stumbles over the same thing . (JoeS got one the phone with me.. And between us this is what resolved ):

Turns out the show-stopper for me on the remote had been simply that I didn't know there's a delay (on order of 40 seconds plus) between the time one transmitts a command to the charger/car and the time it's implemented. So in my earlier experiments I had, for example, transmitted a "on-off" timing command, saw no instant change in what was going on at the charger and concluded that it wasn't "working".

Had I been a tad less of a geek, and simply followed the programming directions I'd assumed, without looking at status lights, that it must be OK. And it would have been.

BTW: I looked carefully in the MiEV manual and at least in the section on the remote use there's as far as I can see no mention of that delay.
Alex

Sounds strange, but especially with the sales staff driving this car, I wouldn't hesitate to show up, chat 'em up, ask for some remedial instruction, and spring for an air filter or license plate frame to build goodwill. My local parts counter guy printed up a lot of gratis schematics for me before I got the service manual from HELM. He could care less whether it ever comes in for service.

Alex, we've all been through the Remote learning process. I'd be inclined to avoid going to the dealer until there is a confirmed problem.

First off, I'm assuming you're using the Mitsu L1 EVSE. Using a third-party L2 EVSE is a known compatibility issue that Mitsubishi has (to date) failed to address.

For your first steps, ensure you're plugged into a 'live' Mitsu L1 EVSE. Make sure the doors are all closed, and you might take the key out of the 'ignition' for good measure as rotating the ignition key is one way of cancelling Remote programming.

I didn't quite follow you on the problem you described; perhaps you can lead us by the hand step-by-step on what you are attempting to do and then we'll see if we can duplicate your procedure or perhaps find a flaw in it.

Here's the trick...I went through this problem and it drove me and the dealer crazy...

When you turn the remote on, you have to hold the button a second or two until it beeps on. But when you send the command, simply press and release the side button quickly...do not hold and wait for a beep. The beep won't happen until you release.

Much thanks to all who replied.

Will do some more experiments, and if still questions get back.

Nice to get the reassurance that it's probably not me getting feebleminded but actually a less-than-wonderfully designed remote and communication system ;)

Of course we'll all get a handle on the quirks or work around them,
but I joked with the sales guy (as I intuitied there were oddities) "So... if I buy this does it come with a certificate for a six week community college course on operating the remote?" :roll:

--------------------------------------
BTW: One of the many reasons I chose the MiEV over the Leaf was the Leaf's rather overly cluttered multiple controls on the steering wheel, dashboard, panel, displays, etc. Kind of like being on the deck of the starship Enterprise ;) . Yeah, I could've learn them (I until recently made my living doing tech support) and most Leaf owners probably get a handle on them (and they can't be worse than the clunky odd controls on my SE's audio).... but do I really want to be playing with all those controls while driving?

MLucas said:
You may find this helpful: http://www.imiev411.com/c/using-miev-remote

If you have questions, let us know - we can clarify it for you. I use my remote all the time.

Hi M, and all who have patience left for my blunderig.

I'm still having trouble/confusion with the remote.
I've read that link (which is the same as the manual) over and over.
I can turn on pre aircondition or preheat.

The thing I'm having trouble with is using and understanding the remote's control of the charging.
For starters I don't seem to be able to do what IMO should be the most basic use:
Which is -- Simply turn the charger OFF and ON (no timing yet) with the remote.

I put the car on the charger and it start charging.
I turn on the remote and it indicates, as it should, tha the car is charging and indicates the charge level approximately. OK.
I press the lowest button on the side of the remote (the one with the icon of the electrical plug.
One the display the word “on” disappears. OK.
I press briefly the top transmit button. The remote beeps indicating successfully sent command.
But when I walk out to the garage to check the lights on the charger indicate it’s still charging.

All replies appreciated, but what would be REALLY great is someone who’s willing to sit out next to their MiEV with their remote and phone, while I do he same on my end and phone you so you can walk me through the remote?
If anyone’s kind and available enough to do that (I’m on pacific time) I’d, of course, pay the nickel for the call? If that’s you, send me a private message (or public if you prefer) of your phone number (and decent hours I can ring you) and I’ll send you mine.

Alex

acensor said:
Nice to get the reassurance that it's probably not me getting feebleminded but actually a less-than-wonderfully designed remote and communication system ;)
Boy, howdy - Truer words were never spoken!

Wish I could help you. but all I use the remote for is pre-heating or pre-cooling. Timed charging in my garage is done with an old fashioned click-stop dial timer . . . . actually, two of them - I have 120 volt one for L1 charging and another 240 volt one for L2 charging. The simple timer turns on the EVSE at the time I select and runs it for as many hours as I select and then shuts it off

The car has very few 'faults' to my mind, but the remote would be up near the top of the list . . . . if not at the very top :?

Don

acensor said:
I press the lowest button on the side of the remote (the one with the icon of the electrical plug.
One the display the word “on” disappears. OK.
I press briefly the top transmit button. The remote beeps indicating successfully sent command.
But when I walk out to the garage to check the lights on the charger indicate it’s still charging.
There's the issue. This button (has the plug symbol beside it) does not control charging, ON/OFF. It rather cancels the charging timers and starts charging.

If you want to control charging, ON/OFF, set the ON timer for some ridiculous amount of time (the max number of hours available on the remote), this will keep charging OFF while plugged in, still allowing for pre-heating/pre-cooling, until the timer expires, you command the car to start charging by pressing the plug button and hitting send (as I've quoted your procedure above), or unplug, start the car, shut it off, and plug back in.

There is a plug symbol in the top right corner of the screen on the remote. This plug is lit when the car is charging.

Back