Can you feel the steering linkage in the floor when turning?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I turn the steering wheel quickly while stopped, I can feel the steering linkage clunking in the driver-side floor board. Has anyone else noticed this?

I pretty much only notice this while parallel parking because the car is quiet and I’m turning the wheel quickly from one direction to the other while stopped. It is imperceptable while driving at any speed. I suspect this is just a result of the design of the car but I've never felt this in other cars so I wanted to compare notes.

Thanks in advance!
-Alex

No, but I sure do feel potholes. I'm shocked that I have not dented my rims or ruined front end parts.

So it feels like hell , but so far, it is measuring up to the task.

logicalmethods said:
If I turn the steering wheel quickly while stopped, I can feel the steering linkage clunking in the driver-side floor board. Has anyone else noticed this?
Afraid I'm old school, and never ever turn the steering wheel when the car is not moving. Never heard nor felt anything untoward with the steering linkage.

I vaguely remember my drivers ed teacher telling me that was bad for the tires.. Oh well.

If any of you have the opportunity, please give your wheel a spin while stopped and see if you can feel any vibrations in your feet related to the steering wheel turning. I'm now considering taking it in (to someone other than the creepy, awful, dealer that I bought it from.

-alex

JoeS said:
logicalmethods said:
Afraid I'm old school, and never ever turn the steering wheel when the car is not moving. Never heard nor felt anything untoward with the steering linkage.
+1 - I was thinking of my reply when reading the post and . . . . Joe beat me to it . . . . again

I actually cringe when I see someone do a full lock to lock turn of the wheels with the car standing still

Don

I'm sure you could sit in your car and turn the wheel lock to lock until the traction pack went flat and repeat it each day and it would have little to effect on the cars steering components. The power assisted Steering rack, tie rods and so on are lot stronger than a set of 145 pizza cutters friction contact patch with perhaps 300kg on them. Sure there is more force needed to turn a stationary wheel but nothing over the top.

If you could see the forces at play when your driving 1 ton of steel down the road at speed you would be shocked. Braking, turning, accelerating, bumps.

I don't do it to often of purpose but I'm not to worried if the situation calls for it.

Kurt

Mikhill solved it. Thanks so much.

I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. The dealer had put an extra piece of carpet on top of the factory floor mats to keep the car clean, that was too tall and sure enough was hitting the column.

Mikhill, next time I'm hiring for a ops engineer, I'm asking you for a resume first.

-Alex

Back