battery replacement in USA

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for chasing this down, Reed. I had secured the license for doing these OZDIYEV upgrades over a year ago, and Jeff's price is right where I had landed. HowEVer, considering my time and garage constraints, I decided not to go forward with it as a moonlighting business, and was unable to convince my colleagues in local EV shops to take on the project. I wish Jeff the best of luck, and am willing to help coordinate a group buy. Indeed, the cost of cells has come down significantly over the past year, but I had also encountered the issue of needing to purchase three cars' worth of cells in the first order. If we put together a group buy and work cooperatively with Jeff at CALMAX, there should be a better outcome for all. I'm going to contact Jeff now, as I have three degraded take-out packs that I had intended to use as cores for rebuilding.

Hi Folks; May I direct your attention to another thread related to this one. "I-Miev Battery Upgrade". Some of us are trying to find a way to get OZ (AU) to ship some upgrade packs, software and install instruction to the U.S.
Thanks,
Marty
Portland, OR
hi , we have an installer

Calmax Fine Cars
1204 Via Roma Colton CA 92324 U

[email protected]

Hi all. I recently purchased an i-miev with a faulty battery. I want to remake the battery with new cells myself. According to my calculations, the cost of re-equipment will be about $3,000. The estimated battery capacity will be 25 kWh. Cells SK Innovations E777.

I plan to cover the replacement process on this forum. What do you think?

Hi all. I recently purchased an i-miev with a faulty battery. I want to remake the battery with new cells myself. According to my calculations, the cost of re-equipment will be about $3,000. The estimated battery capacity will be 25 kWh. Cells SK Innovations E777.

I plan to cover the replacement process on this forum. What do you think?
It’s great to see another project to replace the original pack with new cells. To achieve this successfully you basically have to overcome three different challenges:

1. Fit new cells into the pack and connect them to existing CMU boards
2. Reprogram the BMU to process cells with a capacity of over 60Ah
3. Correct the charge curve of the new battery chemistry to mimic LEV50 characteristics

Mickey

Thanks Mickey! At the moment I am at the beginning of point 1.

I have already designed a block with 44 cells. It is slightly smaller in size than the 5x8 LEV50 blocks.

This is what it looks like in the picture.

Attachments

• i-miev_pack1.png
    i-miev_pack1.png
    438.3 KB · Views: 0
  • i-miev_pack2.png
    i-miev_pack2.png
    420 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Mickey! At the moment I am at the beginning of point 1.

I have already designed a block with 44 cells. It is slightly smaller in size than the 5x8 LEV50 blocks.

This is what it looks like in the picture.
Very novel approach, as a matter of interest, how are you going to integrate the original CMU boards into this setup as they forward cell voltages and temperatures to the BMU?

Back