Anyone find a cruise control option for the i-miev?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky49

My wife is disappointed that Mitzi our loaded 2012 SE does not come with cruise control. We live in the photo radar capital of Western Canada and my wife get into her space zoned out and really prefers cruise because it cuts down on tickets. I have added after market cruise to some gas powered vehicles (Aveos, Swifts, and Waves). While we got our car for less than half what they go for in western Canada she wonder why a car that at factory list price came in at close to 40 grand did not come with cruise and tilt wheel especially the top of the line version?

She made her first trip to work 26 miles round trip and burned only 5 bars so she was happy especially since the price of gas jumped 13 cents a litre yesterday.

Rocky

Not to my knowledge

It would need to be a 'fly by wire' cruise control like the ones you installed in the Chevy Aveo, since the throttle is just a potentiometer. So far, no company that I know of has decided to make an aftermarket unit for a car which so few people have bought

If enough of us petitioned one of the aftermarket companies (and promised to buy one if the offered one) maybe we could talk one of them into making something for our car - It shouldn't be a huge project to adapt an Aveo unit to our car, but it would have to be done by the factory and likely they'd have to have an actual car on hand to perfect the package

Don

The only way you will be able to put a cruise control on an I-MiEV will be with something like a Rostra system. They have units that operate an electric servo to move the throttle on "normal" cars. Although usually hooked to the accelerator linkage under the hood, it could also be made to move the accelerator pedal in the I-MiEV. It's a shame that Mitsubishi didn't think about cruise in the I-MiEV because it would be really easy to implement with some software and minimal hardware changes. Just google aftermarket cruise controls and you will find them.

I have seen two, both apparently connected to the OBD-II, for cars with electronic accelerator.

The more serious of the two is the WAECO MagicSpeed ​​MS 880:

http://www.waeco.com/en/products/4374_6777.php

The other looks like a guy who fits one by one and sells them on ebay ... does not seem very reliable. I put the link, anyway:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-desde-2010-E-cruise-Control-Velocidad-Crucero-/221424963680

Yes Rostra made the cruise control for the original 2004 US version Chevrolet Aveo when GM Daewoo failed to incorporate one with the 2004 version. I installed one in our 2004, and in a 2006 Suzuki Swift. Then GM Daewoo changed the throttle body design and the cruise no longer worked so I made Rostra aware of it and they issued a mod kit. I installed the mod kit and it continued to work

The Aveo like the I-MIEV was a world car marketed under different names in different countries, Canada got the Aveo as the Chevy Aveo, the Pontiac Wave, and the Suzuki Swift, but I think it really was a Daewoo Lanos?. So for our European and Asian members who have had access to the I-miev and its sisters and brothers anyone seen a cruise option / aftermarket on an I-miev or an electric car that would make sense on an I-miev.

thanks Rocky

psyflyjohn said:
The Waeco unit looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it can be purchased in the U.S. Anybody have more info. on obtaining it?
When the Waeco unit was mentioned several months ago in this forum, I investigated buying one. I live in Sweden part-time, so I could buy one in Sweden and carry it back in my luggage when I return to the U.S. (I haven't found a U.S. distributor). That would eliminate the shipping charge from Europe. However, the cost of the basic unit without the car-specific installation kit and other options is almost $700! For less than $400, I installed a Rostra cruise control on my Honda Insight which I use on European road trips. But paying $700 for a cruise control on my i-MiEV, basically a city car, makes no economic sense to me, so I haven't pursued a purchase.

Back