Almost instant extra legroom

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonDakin

I was reading the thread on the seat track extension because I could also use a little more leg room.

I have been thinking about the wedge on the floor that is under the left foot. I took up the carpet and found that it's just a piece of Styrofoam.

Easy to remove.

So I took it out and gained about 3 inches for the left leg. I find it a little more comfortable, it gives the option of stretching out a little more.

Not sure if this will be good for everyone but it's very simple to do and undo if you don't like it. There are only 2 plastic holder clips to remove.

I also added a little 1/2 inch Styrofoam in there on the metal to have some insulation. There was some area with the carpet on the bare metal.

I would need that insulation in the winter. I may thicken it in the area under the pedals as an insulation enhancement when it starts getting really cold.

I uploaded a few pictures please have a look. I forgot a "before" picture but you can always just look at your feet for that.

There is a fold left in the carpet after this mod. It can be removed buy cutting and stiching but just flattening things out seems to work and allows you to reinstall the wedge if you want.

http://imgur.com/a/WdR1F/embed

Don.....

Very interesting - Makes one wonder 'why' they put the Styrofoam there in the first place, knowing it would rob needed legroom from the driver. I'm guessing maybe it had something to do with the crash test rating on the car . . . . maybe preventing the crash test dummy from breaking his left leg?

Don

I guess it is for people like my who grew up with shift gear and kludge. Time and again I hit the break with my left foot. :lol:

Always driving in "B" does not make things better. When I suddenly need to break it is right foot in the air, left foot stepping on the break down to the bottom - shock who has stolen my breake? And why is this car standing still in the first place?

Its really good for emergency breaking. :mrgreen:

Karin does not like it at all. :twisted:

Cheers
Peter and Karin

That 'dead pedal' is a big 'ol hunk of foam! My carpet is getting worn quickly in that spot since it it too tall for comfort. Will follow your lead.

jray beat me to it, I was going to say 'dead pedal' as well. I think MMC put it there as a feature, more than anything. When I pull the carpet back to put in my radiant heating pad, I'll consider removing this chunk-o-foam as well and also look into applying a rubber coating to the bare metal areas for insultation. Probably the source of the cold feet problem.

Update: This weekend, I removed the dead pedal. Wow, that is much more comfortable without that chunk-o-foam in place. I'd highly recommend removing it if one needs more leg room. Another thing I noticed, there is absolutely no insulation in that area at all! No wonder I'm getting cold feet in this car. I put down some reflective barrier insulation and noticed an improvement on the way to work this morning. Still going to put the heated pad in there for warm feet and no need for use of the heater.

Back