A Tire Failure

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Well, for the first time ever, I had a tire sidewall failure this morning

On a busy road we regularly drive, we encountered some patches of dirt and rocks every so often. It seemed obvious that some dump truck was losing part of it's load every time it hit a bump. We steered clear of about a dozen patches of the debris over the next half a mile or so until we got to the freeway entrance ramp. There was more of the rocks and dirt on the cloverleaf ramp itself and we dodged all of that, but when I went to merge onto the I-110 Back Bay Bridge, I glanced in the mirrors to make sure it was clear to merge and managed to glance a small rock with the right front tire and . . . . instant tire down. My wife heard the hissing and I noted the TPS light on the dash, but there was no place to pull over on the bridge so we made it across (about 3/4 mile) doing about 40 or 45

The offending truck was parked halfway down the exit ramp - The tailgate was open at the bottom about 6 inches, like it would be when a dump truck spreads gravel. I *should have* pulled in right behind the truck and got the license number and the drivers name, etc, but I continued to the bottom of the ramp where there's a gas station with an air hose. It looks like my failure to get her license number is going to keep me from getting reimbursed for the tire

The tire was flat with a hole in the sidewall you could stick a pencil into. I called the local tire store and he got me a new pair of Continental 145/65-15's on order. A friend took me to an auto parts store about a mile away where I bought a tire plugger kit. By putting 4 thicknesses of the cord in the 'gun' and gluing them into the hole, I managed to get the car to the tire store about 2 miles away - My makeshift plug came out about half a block from the store

The tires came in about 2 O'clock and we're now back on the road. I kept the old tires which were probably less than 1/3rd worn (13,500 miles) hoping to get the city to pay for a new tire . . . . and I think I'll put the good one on a Mitsu ES steel rim if I can find one so I'll have a spare for the future. I have an extra set of Miata wheels/tires which would have worked great as a spare *if* my blowout had happened on a rear tire, but there's very little you can put on the front in an emergency, except for a correctly sized iMiEV wheel and tire

Oddly, with the electric power steering there was no indication that I had a tire down at all - It steered straight and true which made me think at the time that it must just be a low tire and not a flat one . . . . but looking at the hole in the sidewall afterwards, it was pretty obvious that it lost ALL it's air in just a few seconds

Don

Luckily you were all unharmed.

From your experience, would you say that the result would have been the same with an average wheel or was it aggravated because this front tire is so minimal ?

Best

I called our local tire companies including Costco, Firestone, and a couple of local companies...not one stocks the size we need. Your blowout makes me think I should pre-order a couple of tires just in case. Thanks for sharing and glad you guys are ok.

Llecentaur said:
From your experience, would you say that the result would have been the same with an average wheel or was it aggravated because this front tire is so minimal ?
Nothing was 'aggravated'. If the wife hadn't heard the air hissing out of the tire and I didn't notice the TPS indicator on the dash, I wouldn't have had a clue we had a flat - It drove straight and true with no 'excitement' of any kind. Had I not known it was flat, likely the next indication would have been the noise from riding on the rim!
olagon said:
I called our local tire companies including Costco, Firestone, and a couple of local companies...not one stocks the size we need. Your blowout makes me think I should pre-order a couple of tires just in case.
We live in a pretty small town (Biloxi, pop 45K) and I just called my local, unaffiliated tire shop. Of course he didn't have a tire, but he checked the computer and told me that if I ordered before 11:30 AM he could have the tires at his shop by 2 PM. They came in on his regular run from Foley Alabama (an even smaller town) and they were $87.50 each. We were driving again within about 4 hours of blowing the tire

In my experience, buying tires from a major brand store somewhat limits your selection, whereas an unaffiliated shop can get you just about any brand, any size tire you want and usually pretty quickly as well. I got this pair of Continental Eco 72T's a good bit cheaper than if I had ordered them from Tire Rack and I got them a couple days faster too

I will mount the good used one I took off on a spare Mitsu steel wheel just to be prepared should there be a next time

Don

Back