$7500 tax credit problem

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joev

I’m having trouble getting the $7500 tax credit (federal income tax in the US).

I’m using the IRS online web site “Free File” and it keeps rejecting the form 8936.
I have more than $7500 in tax liability.

Anyone else having a problem? Anyone successful?

Thanks, Joe

Just finished taxes yesterday using Turbotax. It had no problem accepting the VIN number and completing the return. You may have to spring for the program to get the credit - which is well worth it.

I have a fairly complex return and had no trouble claiming the credit with free filing at TaxAct.com (2011 claim year)

*Yes, I had to mail in a paper return for the EV and EVSE credit forms, but still like the free software!

I had a different problem. I used H&R Block software and it doesn't allow you to file form 8936 or form 8911 (charging station). Sooo, I had to e-file without those forms to get my normal refund quickly. Once I received that I amended my return to include forms 8936 and 8911 and filed the amended return by paper. I probably won't know if it's been accepted for another month.

tonymil said:
I had a different problem. I used H&R Block software and it doesn't allow you to file form 8936 or form 8911 (charging station). Sooo, I had to e-file without those forms to get my normal refund quickly. Once I received that I amended my return to include forms 8936 and 8911 and filed the amended return by paper. I probably won't know if it's been accepted for another month.
It might be even longer than that - I would be very afraid that your strategy might raise some eyebrows at the IRS . . . . your amended return might get transferred directly over to the Audit pile :shock:

Hope I'm wrong!

Don

TurboTax for Web would not allow me to file electronically if I included Form 8936. Maybe that's due to the underlying problem that the OP reported: the IRS won't allow electronic filing of Form 8936 (has anyone else been able to file Form 8936 electronically?). So I had to kill a few trees, employ a few postal workers, and delay my refund a bit compared with years past, but that's a small price to pay for such a generous tax credit.

It finally went thru!

After 45 minutes on the phone with the IRS, and got no where, I tried for about the 25th time with a data entry change.

On the on line "Free file fillable form 8936" when you enter the vehicle info you actually have to start with the model year 2 lines above the line where it asks for "Year, make, and model of vehicle".
Ex:
-------------------------------------------------------Mitsubishi
1 Year, make, and model of vehicle.........1 i-MiEV

Hope this helps and saves people some time.

My accountant has my return almost ready, taking the $7500 credit. He usually files it electronically, but he hasn''t told me if we will snail mail it this year. Either way, though, you don't hear about if there is a problem until a year and a half later.

alohart said:
TurboTax for Web would not allow me to file electronically if I included Form 8936. Maybe that's due to the underlying problem that the OP reported: the IRS won't allow electronic filing of Form 8936 (has anyone else been able to file Form 8936 electronically?). So I had to kill a few trees, employ a few postal workers, and delay my refund a bit compared with years past, but that's a small price to pay for such a generous tax credit.
We used the TurboTax DVD, and hit the same issue - no problem entering the info and getting the credits (both car and charger), but had to print it all out and mail it in (I'm more worried about the ink than the trees :lol: ) As things worked out this year, the i was the difference between us mailing in a check and getting back a much bigger one, a clear win.

My guess is the IRS had issues with the Form 8936. I filed my return via paper in mid Feb 2013. I requested direct deposit of the refund to my bank. Got a written notice from IRS stating that return was being processed manually and check would be mailed. Check arrived today. Credit was fully applied.

I have used Taxact.com online, free version. My problem was identification of the right form as there is very similar one for smaller EV's. In the end, I was able to enter all required information online (Form 8936) and the return was submitted on 1/31/2013. It has been then delayed by over 1 month because of IRS rule. I have received the refund via direct deposit on 3/18/2013.

FYI, if you claim child credit ($1,000 per child), it is applied after the $7,500 credit and you are entitled for child credit even if you have no tax liability, which may result in net negative tax. Knowing this, made me buy EV already in 2012.

Also, I recommend to adjust your withholdings for the year you bought EV. Use form W-4.

Back