24-kWh packs available for $3,600 with shipping

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olagon

Anyone know how we can get these packs added to our cars?

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/03/03/evtv-offers-deal-on-used-better-place-battery-packs/

Looks kinda big and awkward. wonder if it would fit in the rear cargo area?

It would add at least another 100 miles to our range for those longer trips.

Not likely we could adapt them to the car very easily . . . but if someone as wanting to do a conversion for a small pick-up or something, they are a smokin' deal for sure!!

Don

The $3,600 includes the shipping to EVTV but not the shipping from EVTV.

My shipping was $460

196 Cells: 96S2P so that's $18.37 per 65 Ah cell
48 Modules with 4 cells in module Construction 2 in-series pairs in parallel
` Length 11.9291" (303 mm)
` Width 8.7795" (223 mm)
` Thickness 1.3779" (35 mm)
` Weight 8.3775 lbs (3.8 kgs)
3 Stacks with 16 Modules each.
` Width 11.9291" (303 mm)
` Height 8.7795" (223 mm)
` Length ~22" (That's my guess.)
` Weight ~140 lbs (That's my guess.)

batterie-zoom_zpse9e8630d.jpg

FiddlerJohn said:

My shipping was $460

You ordered a pack? Can you share about the project(s) you have in mind? Thanks

olagon said:
FiddlerJohn said:

My shipping was $460

You ordered a pack? Can you share about the project(s) you have in mind? Thanks
I'm also tempted, as I have a project in mind (donor car sitting in my garage) but haven't made the major purchases, like batteries, motor, etc. to make it happen.

Since these are not typical cells, I just wonder how painful it would be to get the included BMS to work, or if you'd have to cobble together some other BMS (or use none at all - though EVTV has no experience doing that with this cell chemistry).

Back on topic, I doubt this would be a useful range extender for the iMiev for the same reasons. If you had enough knowledge, time, and money you could probably stick a bunch of these in the back, but you'd have to figure out how to use the DC quick charge or just use an inverter (with loses) to "charge" from that extra battery pack into the iMiev's standard charge port. Doesn't feel like that's any better than just finding a plug somewhere.

FiddlerJohn said:
48 Modules with 4 cells in module Construction 2 in-series pairs in parallel
` Length 11.9291" (303 mm)
` Width 8.7795" (223 mm)
` Thickness 1.3779" (35 mm)
` Weight 8.3775 lbs (3.8 kgs)
3 Stacks with 16 Modules each.
` Width 11.9291" (303 mm)
` Height 8.7795" (223 mm)
` Length ~22" (That's my guess.)
` Weight ~140 lbs (That's my guess.)
If each module is 8+ pounds and there are 48 modules, that's 400 pounds for the cells alone

Maybe 450 pounds for the entire package?

Don

The whole package, including custom shipping container, weighs 718 lb. If building a lower voltage pack out of these LEAF/Fluence ZE batteries, I'd plan on 8.5 lb per 65 AH, 3.75V module, once interconnects and restraints are attached.

Very tempting indeed as a replacement pack for my conversion, though I'd have to disassemble and start over for an absolute max 336V pack. A Seattle EV member just purchased a large pack of these modules from crashed LEAFS for over $100 per module. With the $479 shipping to my nearest UPS depot, this deal comes to $85.42 per module for new 'old' stock.

The only DC-DC converter that could handle 387 V and pass it along our car would be from Manzanita Micro. It'll run on DC input between 60 and 390 V DC. 400V DC is the absolute limit on input, and this pack maxes out at 403V if 100% charged to 4.2 V per cell. Charging to a lower voltage would be safe for the Manzanita and better for the pack. OF course, a new Manzanita PFC 40 runs over $3000, and even the lowly PFC20 that I have costs $2k. The PFC20 could pump in 7 kw, while the PFC 40 could shuttle twice that into an i, which is enough to cruise down the highway without drawing on the stock pack.

jray3 said:
... I'd plan on 8.5 lb per 65 AH, 3.75V module ...
There is 4 cells in an 8.5 lb module wired 2S2P. Two in-series pairs that are wired in parallel. That's 7.5V @ 130 AH per 8.5 lb module. Two series modules might make a thin 12"x9"x3", 12V battery with 15V (16.8V max) @ 130 AH per 17 lbs.

olagon said:
... You ordered a pack? Can you share about the project(s) you have in mind? Thanks
Yes, I ordered a pack. Brain says that my UPS SHIPMENT HAS BEEN PICKED-UP.

I don't have a organized plan, just lots of half baked crazy ideas. For example:
1. A small 90 cell trailer that parallels the 88 MiEV cells. I've had better ideas.
2. 12V car batteries @ $170. These cells don't like being kept at full charge. Not a great idea.
3. Portable half stacks @ 8 modules per half stack weighing 70 lbs. that's 28VDC at 130 AH = 3.64 kWh
4. One Portable 7 kWh stack in the MiEV back with a DC-DC inverter across the 88 MiEV cells. It could just run a space heater. This is the best idea, but lots of problems:
` . Deadly HV in the cabin.
` . Deadly projectiles in the cabin.
` . 150 - 200 pounds of extra weight.
5. Convert my F250 SD.

I don't like any of these ideas, but I do like these batteries.

What's your idea?

FiddlerJohn said:
I don't like any of these ideas, but I do like these batteries. What's your idea?
FiddlerJohn, nothing wrong with any of those ideas...

What I've done is make nominal "48V" packs using my various Lithiums (present favorite is EnerDel) as well as SLAs (mostly Optimas from my Sparrows). These 48v packs drive -
- 48vdc --> 120vac inverters (eBay) which -
* charges EVs
* runs portable space heater (that's how I test the batteries)
* runs anything when power goes out (fridge, TV, wood-stove fan, etc.)
- 48vdc --> 240vac inverters (eBay) which charges EVs. Since my house is all-electric, I guess I could run the hot water heater or stove with this setup
- 48vdc outboard motor (Torqeedo 4.0R)
- 48vdc electric scooter (modified Eco-Scoot)
- 48vdc --> 12vdc dc-dc converter if needed to charge 12v batteries or run 12v inverters

Last week when the power went out for a little-old-lady family friend and her oxygen generator stopped, I quickly rigged up an inverter to run it (600W).

What I would like to do is get a 48vdc --> 350vdc dc-dc converter to feed the i-MiEV pack as a range extender. This way there would only be a 'safe' 48vdc pack behind the front seat. I haven't looked yet, but I envision removing the back seat and providing significant tiedowns to hold the pack(s) in place, with maybe a platform over the battery pack. Too many projects, too little time… nowadays, it would be simpler to just buy another i-MiEV with CHAdeMO.

What I haven't tried yet is charging the 48v packs directly off my "6.6kW" solar panels (~250vdc). My short-term fix would be to simply put a bunch of "60v" panels directly across the 48v pack with a timer and an overvoltage disconnect.

Once again, caution anyone playing with this stuff that high voltage DC is LETHAL - you don't get a second chance.

NeilBlanchard said:
I am tempted - I could fit ~128 of the Leaf/Better Place battery modules in CarBEN EV5 ... hmmm ...
Might as well 'take the plunge' - Until you've bought a few significant pieces (batteries, motor, electronics, etc) your project is still just a dream . . . . buying the batteries will make it 'official' and likely speed up the progress as well! :D

Don

I am build up to the 'big' stuff. I have the windshield and wiper system, and the donor car for the suspension. I need to expand my garage and renovate it, so I have the room to work in an actual building. The drivetrain and battery pack are well over half (almost 3/4's) of the cost of the materials.

Back