16-->14.5 batterypack

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EF600

Hi!

A customer took a miev to a workshop and they replaced the battery pack, but now the BMU says that one cell is missing (Batteripack mismatch).
Has anyone done this before? Is it possible just to replace the BMU also, or can I just swap the eeprom file(maybe some of you have 14.5kwh bmu file?)?

Hi

Looks like they swapped an 88 cell pack with one destined for C-Zero/I-On that has only 80. If the I-Miev was pre 2012 then the BMU also needs to be upgraded to work with the new LEV50N cells.

If you can, try to install the BMU that belongs to the new pack, but by default I-Mievs always ran on 88 cells, so I’m not very optimistic that you can get this ‘hybrid’ to work

Mickey

MickeyS70 said:
If the I-Miev was pre 2012 then the BMU also needs to be upgraded to work with the new LEV50N cells.
Does the change from pre-2012 to post-2012 also mean a change in CMU board color (red to green pre to post)?

Or is it all in the BMU firmware?

Maybe the CMU firmware needs changing as well?

It seems to me that the CMUs merely report what they see to the BMS, so the color of the boards should not matter, to my mind. But I'm told that red and green boards are not interchangeable, and I would also have expected that to be possible.

coulomb said:
Does the change from pre-2012 to post-2012 also mean a change in CMU board color (red to green pre to post)?

Mine was build in late 2011 and has green CMU boards, so cut off must be earlier (2010?). It’s also not clear when exactly the change to LEV50N happened, for US IMiEVs it’s most likely Nov 2012.

My theory is that once you have green CMUs, swapping a complete LEV50 with a LEV50N pack and it’s corresponding BMU should get you going again.

Mickey

MickeyS70 said:
Mine was built in late 2011 and has green CMU boards, so cut off must be earlier (2010?). It’s also not clear when exactly the change to LEV50N happened, for US IMiEVs it’s most likely Nov 2012.
Ok, thanks. It seems that red and green are not correlated with LEV50 and LEV50N then.

I hope I'm not changing the subject, but my 2012 iMiev's main battery is rapidly fading, I found out the hard way. Waiting for a tow home from 15 miles away, from USAA Roadside Assistance.
I've owned the car since 2017, it's in great shape, and the perfect car for me. I'm 92 years old and I mostly use it for trips to health providers and nearby restaurants etc. I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I want to restore or replace the battery, but I have no idea where to begin. I tried the local Mitsubishi dealer for service a while back, but they earned my distrust when they wanted to charge me over $200 labor for an "oil change"! (I didn't bite.)
Can anyone help me get started with this?
TIA
Ted

Howdy ted and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of your problem.

First i would ask about the age and condition of the 12V battery in your car? If it is old, weak or worn out then this could cause a multitude of issues such as you have experienced. Once that is checked and verified to be a good, strong battery thru either specific gravity or capacity discharge measurements, then you can move on to troubleshoot additional causes.

With high temperatures the 12V suffers shorter life than cooler climates, and this is true of the Main HV battery pack also. It may be indeed that the main pack has some weak or worn out cells that limit both charging to Full voltage and driving with the expected range. If you have any warning lamps on the dash then there are stored diagnostic trouble codes that will point to the problem area and can help with troubleshooting.

Back