My1stEV

Appraisal/Body Work Recommendations?

Tue May 09, 2017 8:02 am

Hello all,
I drive a 2012 iMIEV and unfortunately I was rear-ended on Sunday 5/7 in Durham, NC (less than two miles from home). The insurance company had it towed to a body shop with in their "Guaranteed Repair Network". The body shop was supposed to appraise the damage and then with the insurance company's blessing get it fixed.

The only problem is that they mentioned to my husband that they don't work on electric vehicles. If they don't work on electric cars, then why are they even doing the appraisal? The body shop is backed up so the appraisal would be tomorrow (5/10) at the earliest. The local Mitsubishi dealership says that they they don't do body work nor could they provide any recommendations. (I should probably mention that I didn't buy my car from them. I bought it from a small used car dealership about 30+ miles away.) It's obvious there is body work that needs to be completed but what if there is other work that needs to be done? Damage was evident in the rear bumper and small damage to the trunk. What if there was damage to the charging ports? (Granted, I know little about cars' inner-workings but the impact site was in the rear of the car and that is where both my charging ports are.) So any suggestions on how to handle this? Any body shops you can recommend? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
My1stEV (aka Viv)

Phximiev

Re: Appraisal/Body Work Recommendations?

Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am

Advise the insurance company and request that they authorize the work at a body shop that does electric cars.
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

wmcbrine

Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 am

They're almost certainly going to declare it totalled. :(

Maybe you can find some help here: http://www.pluginnc.com/

My1stEV

Tue May 09, 2017 8:42 am

@wmcbrine,
Why would you say that? It was almost drive-able. The rear fender had bent so it was rubbing on both of the tires. Otherwise it seems okay. The airbags didn't deploy. Its valued at $6K-$8K depending on what site you use but I doubt there was that much damage.

By the way, I did reach out to Plug in NC and just got a response. I've reached out to their referral and waiting a response.

My1stEV

Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 am

Phximiev wrote:Advise the insurance company and request that they authorize the work at a body shop that does electric cars.

@Phximiev,
Thanks, I've emailed and waiting to hear from them. I wanted to put in writing so there would be a paper trail.

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am

Sorry to hear. I have a couple of questions that may shed some light on any damage to the EV drive system.

1. Was the body itself damaged? The plastic bumper cover is a replaceable part, but if the metal where the charge ports are was crumpled, then definite body work is needed.

2. How far was the bumper pushed in? Did it damage the rear hatch?

There is a decent amount of crumple space behind the bumper before any drive components are affected. However, if it pushed the inner fenders into the tires, then it may have damaged structure under the car, but it depends where the bumper was hit (high or low). If you have any pictures you'd like to share, the link below will put them in my Dropbox, at which point I can re-share to the forum.

https://dbinbox.com/pv1

However, what really makes me worry is the difficulty others have had in sourcing replacement parts. For example, a fender bender a couple of years ago nearly totaled an i-MiEV simply because parts couldn't be found. Luckily, a forum member here had the remains of a salvage car and was able to supply the parts needed. That car is still on the road today.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

My1stEV

Tue May 09, 2017 10:27 am

@PV1,
I've tried to upload pictures to answer you questions. Hopefully you will get them. I don't think the body was actually damaged. It was mostly the fender. Some small damage to the rear hatch but it still opened/closed. Hope that the pictures will give you a clearer idea of the damage.

PV1 wrote:Sorry to hear. I have a couple of questions that may shed some light on any damage to the EV drive system.

However, what really makes me worry is the difficulty others have had in sourcing replacement parts. For example, a fender bender a couple of years ago nearly totaled an i-MiEV simply because parts couldn't be found. Luckily, a forum member here had the remains of a salvage car and was able to supply the parts needed. That car is still on the road today.

Forgive my ignorance but couldn't Mitsubishi just provide another fender? I know that we they don't see a lot of them but they are still around and available for sale from Mitsubishi so why wouldn't we be able to get a fender from them?

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 am

Pictures of the damage:

Looks like there is a little wrinkle on the driver's side by the door. Overall, it doesn't look too bad (better than I was expecting), but the shop should be able to give more insight.

I'm not worried about damage to the electric drive system, looks like all bodywork to me.

It just seems that they don't like doing parts runs at the factory. Batteries we can get easily, but body panels seem to be hard for shops to get. Let us know what they say.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

My1stEV

Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 am

@PV1,
Thanks I'm glad you agree it's fixable. I will let you know how it goes. I'm hoping that you're right about the electric drive system. I don't want another car. I love my iMIEV. :D

Phximiev

Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 am

My1stEV wrote:@PV1,
Thanks I'm glad you agree it's fixable. I will let you know how it goes. I'm hoping that you're right about the electric drive system. I don't want another car. I love my iMIEV. :D

Looks like ours after we had an accident. Insurance covered it all and good as brand new. See: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2862
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”