HV Battery Box Support Bracket Corrosion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinwinlow

Hi,

One of our i-mievs partially lost the rear most section of its plastic underbelly last week, and upon investigation, we found the rear-most battery support bracket (the one that goes from one side of the battery box across to the other, both ends of which have a large bolt going through them that hold the battery to the car – see pic) has completely rusted away. The one next forward of that one is also badly corroded and both will need replacing.

1/ I thought I remembered a recall regarding this issue, but cannot find anything relating to it on the Internet. Does anyone have any information about this?

2/ Am I right in thinking that these are part of the battery box and not replaceable as individual spare parts?

If anyone has any ideas as to a suitable repair, please let me know.

I’m basically thinking of making up a simple strap consisting of probably 6mm thick by 50mm wide, flat steel welded at each end to the remains of the bracket but would much prefer a new part…

Regards, MW.

ZgqLPjG

martinwinlow said:
2/ Am I right in thinking that these are part of the battery box and not replaceable as individual spare parts?

If anyone has any ideas as to a suitable repair, please let me know.

I’m basically thinking of making up a simple strap consisting of probably 6mm thick by 50mm wide, flat steel welded at each end to the remains of the bracket but would much prefer a new part

Hi Martin
You are correct, battery box is all one piece, had a quick look at the spare parts catalog, don’t think there is even a part number for the lower box..

https://www.nengun.com/oem/mitsubishi/i-miev-ha3w-252399

You could try these lads, https://www.evbreakers.com/allparts, seemingly they have an I-MIEV in transit, however it could have similar problems and/or they might not sell you just the box.

For piece of mind I would run new support brackets across the width of the battery rather than just trying to weld something on to the existing stumps..

Mickey

Back