Manually Moving the Shifter to Neutral

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

I've got a wrecked car and I need to be able to move it - Hard to do when it's in Park! :lol:

I know on several other vehicles which require 12 volts from the brake light switch, there is an emergency way to insert a credit card in a slot to enable the shifter to be moved out of Park with a failed brake light switch, but I don't think we have anything like that. I've removed the console cover so I have access to the shifter mechanism, but so far I've not found the simple trick (if there is one) to get it out of Park and into Neutral. I'm sure this has come up before, so what am I missing?

Thanks!

Howdy Don,

i think that the brake pedal has to be depressed and the key switch turned to the ON position to allow the cables to move within the shift tower.

Thanks Kenny, but that ain't gonna happen ever again with this car - It dead centered an oak tree at about 25 mph and everything forward of the windshield is GONE!

If worst comes to worst, I guess I can just disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission and move the lever back there . . . . but I figured there must be an easy way to make the shifter move. If not, I can also disassemble the shifter mechanism I suppose

Well, this part of the problem is solved!

When all else fails, get forceful! :lol: I moved the shifter to the side to get it out of the Parking detent and gave it a good, swift yank backwards and it popped right back into Drive - Moved it one notch forward and it's in Neutral . . . . I think. Doesn't matter too much as it will be turning over the drive motor when I pull the car, no matter where the gear selector is . . . other than in Park

Now I'll only be dragging one wheel when I move it - The left front which is pushed way back into the body. I may take that wheel off . . . . I'll have to if there's any hope of steering it

Back