Recall issue with dealership - need advice

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

The vacuum pump recall still needs to be done on my 2012 iMiev - I got the notice back in Feb 2020 but delayed everything because of COVID. Haven't had any braking issues this entire time...

In February 2022 I took it in to have the vac pump and the airbag recall done - airbag recall was done, but the dealership wouldn't do the vac pump because the vacuum line running from it (underneath the car) is rusting near the pump.

The dealership apparently called Mistu and they won't cover the repair of the pipe and the labour to replace it - I don't trust this dealership, as I've already had issues (no one was there when I showed up 10-mins before the service desk closed to pickup the iMiev for the airbag recall, ...I just went behind the desk and grabbed my keys as no one helped me for 15mins, ...other than sales, no one was at the service desk or in the shop). I also left a message a week later to get details on why the recall wasn't done, and they never got back to me - I had to email the service tech directly to get a response. Just not a good experience/communication with this dealership, which is giving me doubts about their intentions - it's not a new vehicle, so I get the sense their trying to rush me out the door as quickly as possible.

They want $190 for the part, plus any extra parts (such as clips), then it's 4-5 hours in labour, so around $610 or more - by the time I'm done, this is over $1000 with tax for a free recall repair.

I'm not paying that - I will be diplomatic and cover the cost of parts, but I'm not paying stealership labour rates.

My plan is to call Mistu customer service next, and state my case and complain - any other advice?

This is in Canada, btw.

Hi Justin,

Where specifically in Canada are you located. I'm getting the run-around from the dealer in Belleville, ON over a battery issue.

Andrew

Adoepner said:
Hi Justin,

Where specifically in Canada are you located. I'm getting the run-around from the dealer in Belleville, ON over a battery issue.

Andrew

I'm in Clarington, and the dealership (that has a tech trained for iMievs) is in Ajax. It was either there, or Peterborough. Ajax is closer.

I ran into the issue that others encountered for recalls - distance to the dealership vs. range of the iMiev.

Yeah, I hear you. When I bought my car, Belleville did not have an EV tech. They told me I would have to go to Peterborough. Fortunately, they now have one, so getting support is at least within easy driving range.

Andrew

The vacuum pump is a safety recall and I can't imagine Mitsu corporate not authorizing it to be done. The pumps are being replaced due to moisture induced corrosion, so if the pipe is corroded too, I would think they would automatically replace that too

FWIW, when my local dealership closed and the closest dealer who worked on iMiEV's was in Pensacola, 100 miles away, Mitsubishi North America has twice paid to truck both of my cars there and back to have recalls done. It took just a little coaxing the first time, but after that they authorized it the second time with no hassle at all. Both times, it was truck and a large flatbed trailer which fit both the cars. One time I got them back the same day and the other time the next day, so any of you who don't have a dealer within 50 miles or so, Mitsu has been very accommodating, at least for me

Don said:
The vacuum pump is a safety recall and I can't imagine Mitsu corporate not authorizing it to be done. The pumps are being replaced due to moisture induced corrosion, so if the pipe is corroded too, I would think they would automatically replace that too

FWIW, when my local dealership closed and the closest dealer who worked on iMiEV's was in Pensacola, 100 miles away, Mitsubishi North America has twice paid to truck both of my cars there and back to have recalls done. It took just a little coaxing the first time, but after that they authorized it the second time with no hassle at all. Both times, it was truck and a large flatbed trailer which fit both the cars. One time I got them back the same day and the other time the next day, so any of you who don't have a dealer within 50 miles or so, Mitsu has been very accommodating, at least for me

Thank you for the reply, and that's what I think - it's a safety recall, IT HAS TO BE DONE. I have no issue paying for any parts ($200 or so) beyond the vac pump as the car has saved us so much in maintenance and fuel costs over the 5 years of ownership - give and take, and I'll gladly give a bit back. They can pay for the labour.

Unfortunately, work has been crazy and I haven't had a chance to call customer service yet - I'm blocking off an hour in my calendar next week to call them during the day, and b!tch and complain. I'll report back with what they say.

Back