I-Miev hot rod, anyone?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojje63

Here is my take: 2015 with a Willys77 1933 sedan body converted to a pick-up. As you can see it's not done yet but it is running :D
IMG-20220621-162304.jpg

Thanks,
Almost everything but the SRS stuff is still there. The bottom/chassis is still i-Miev. Had to move almost everything to fit the new body so it's still a lot of work, but it's fun :D
This is a pic of the process
IMG-20220312-180629.jpg

JoeS said:
Fantastic! What a fun project. What did you include/exclude in your transplant?

Now, for a sound system producing space-ship reverberations... :roll:

Outstanding! I’d appreciate more on how you got it to run without SRS. My crashed parts car stopped restarting after I disconnected the instrument cluster and didn’t respond to reinstallation. It’s been stuck since… only item that can’t be reinstalled is the power steering rack (sold it). I’d like to reuse the drive unit in a project vehicle.

I removed the SRS computer and it still starts, not sure about anything else since most is still hooked up but I found a lot of good info here https://318iev.blogspot.com/2020/03/
If your ECU detected a crash I think you will have to ask Mitsubishi to unlock it

That was not the direction I assumed seeing 'hot rod i-imiev', I was expecting an LS1 crammed in the backseat.

Epic! Noticed Sweden, but unfortunately i'm Stockholm. :)

Yes that would be fun too, for about a day :D
This is more my style. Not even one person has guessed I'm building an EV when I' tell them I'm building a new hot rod, so mission accomplished :mrgreen:
I won't drive it to Stockholm any time soon so you have to come south if you want to try it!

dopey said:
That was not the direction I assumed seeing 'hot rod i-imiev', I was expecting an LS1 crammed in the backseat.

IMG-20220724-164107.jpg

Donor was a perfectly nice, running car I bought from a dealer in Norway (more EV's in Norway than in Sweden). Since this is my first EV I thought it was easier to start with something I could test drive.
I had planned to build a V8 Hot Rod (I had the Willys body) but one day I just realized how stupid that would be with todays gas prices :eek:
So I did some research and found that the I-MiEV had the same wheel base and track as a Willys 77! Once the body was removed the "frame" that the battery mounts to actually look almost exactly like a 30's frame.
Apologies to the purists for cutting up a nice I-MiEV :D
PV1 said:
Pretty cool!

What's the backstory on the donor car? Was it a wreck?

If you were in North America, I think a lot more of us would be mad as there are so few of them. World/Euro-spec I-MiEVs are quite numerous.

jojje63 said:
Yes that would be fun too, for about a day :D
This is more my style. Not even one person has guessed I'm building an EV when I' tell them I'm building a new hot rod, so mission accomplished :mrgreen:
I won't drive it to Stockholm any time soon so you have to come south if you want to try it!

dopey said:

IMG-20220724-164107.jpg

Cant' blame you there, I made the mistake of driving mine the day I got it from Stockholm to Karlstad to visit family. Have an s60r I should of driven but hey, new car why not take it.

Boy did I underestimate the battery degradation in a 11 year old car, range decimation on the highway, or fact Chademo charging seems to give less and less range each charge. Arrived around 0430 the next morning :D .........then had to drive it back a few days later. She will now stay in the stockholm area for the rest of her life :)

Cannot imagine Skåne to stockholm in a stock one :D

jojje63 said:
Here is my take: 2015 with a Willys77 1933 sedan body converted to a pick-up. As you can see it's not done yet but it is running :D
IMG-20220621-162304.jpg

Catchmod provides free professional photo editing and shooting applications, helping users create beautiful and impressive photos.

That's awesome! Your project looks great so far, and it's impressive that it's already up and running. Keep up the good work! 🚗👍

IsraelAguilar said:
That's awesome! Your project looks great so far, and it's impressive that it's already up and running. Keep up the good work! 🚗👍

Thanks! The car is now registered and I've done 2000km so far, no problems at all :D

My brother trying it
IMG-20230608-155643.jpg

Testing the CHAdeMO
IMG-20230622-083631.jpg

Tusen Takk og Thanks for your awesome work, Jojje!
Is there a build page or project weblog? I'd be real curious if you deleted or defeated any of the OEM circuits and overcame the nanny errors.

No blog or build page, I'm not very good at documenting my builds. I'm hoping we one day get an AI-camera that can do it for us but that's a few years away.
Anyway, I made it easy for myself and kept almost everything from the I-Miev, only moved it around to fit the new body. All SRS is removed and I get fault codes for that, but that's it.

I've been to a couple of shows but 99% of the people there don't understand it's special, they think it's just a Rat Rod with a Chevy 350 :D
IMG-20230606-160907.jpg

IMG-20230528-143450.jpg

And for the people who still think petrol is better than electric, my car can run on petrol too ;)
IMG-20230601-142430.jpg

Back