A/C Condenser Fan

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Recently discovered that the fan has a 'Jet Engine Mode' which I have never heard in 8 years, despite living where we use the A/C for about 8 or 9 months of the year. In normal operation, you barely hear this fan but recently it has gone into this 'max mode' with very little use of the A/C. It quits when the car gets up to a certain speed, but resumes a few seconds after any stop. The air conditioning seems to still be cooling the car normally, but this higher fan speed definitely isn't 'normal' and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it and if so, what the cause is and how to rectify it. Dirty condenser? Low refrigerant? Any ideas??

Thanks!

Howdy Don,

Are you in "Max" mode--has the button been pressed for Max? That happened to me when i first got the car, and i didn't know how to stop it and worried i wasn't gonna make it home.

Nope, the A/C is in the normal mode . . . . but the condenser fan is certainly in 'Max Mode' . . . . which I didn't even know existed

Sorry too early and not enough coffee yet.

How about an intermittent temperature sensor in the cooling loop somewhere?

There are 2 cooling fan relays (lo and hi), so it may be that it just went into Hi mode based upon temperature. The temperature sensor is located on the front bottom of the MCU back in the engine compartment. Check for corrosion on the contacts.

If you have a voltmeter then the resistance can be checked:
5.While immersing the temperature sensing part of coolant temperature sensor into hot water, measure the resistance between connector terminals.
Standard value:
14 to 17 kΩ (at -20°C)
5.1 - 6.5 kΩ (at 0°C)
2.1 - 2.7 kΩ (at 20°C)
0.9 - 1.3 kΩ (at 40°C)
0.48 - 0.68 kΩ (at 60°C)
0.26 - 0.36 kΩ (at 80°C)
So with the sensor disconnected it would think it was cold out; the resistance goes down as the temperature goes up, negative temperature coefficient NTC

Back