Getting a new battery!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curraheeeasyc

My 2012 I-miev wasn't charging, so after calling Carmax where i bought it, and every other mechanic in the city of New Orleans (and the mitsubishi dealers in Baton Rouge and surrounding), I finally was able to get the Northshore Mitsubishi dealer to take it. We had it towed up there a couple of weeks ago, and despite not having his electric car mechanic he agreed to work on it. After needing to replace their diagnostic cable etc, they finally called this morning to let me know that Mitsubishi has authorized a new battery under the extended warranty! I'm not sure if it'll be a new one or one that's been in storage for years, but I'm hopeful it's a new one. I'll update here, but I just had to share my excitement.

curraheeeasyc said:
I'm not sure if it'll be a new one or one that's been in storage for years, but I'm hopeful it's a new one. I'll update here, but I just had to share my excitement.

Well done, hate to dampen your excitement but to my knowledge only cars with original LEV50 cells had their battery warranty increased and production of these cells stopped about 10years ago.

Get the dealer to send you a pic of the ‘new’ battery sticker, some members may be able to decipher what’s inside.

You never know, Mitsu may be able to upgrade your BMS to accept new(er) and improved LEV50N cells.

Let us know…

Several of us have had the pack replaced under warranty. Working great with no issues. Nobody has dismantled one to see the cell type but i think they would be the latest version available from Yuasa.

Wednesday (two days ago) the service guy called and said the battery had arrive along with the lift etc to install it! So today he called and said the new battery was installed, and they were plugging it in to see if it would charge now. They didn't think (in discussion with Mitsubishi) that it was the OBC, so we'll see I guess. I'm kind of hoping it is the OBC and they will replace that too, before its warranty expires, but even if not I'm super happy that they replaced the battery under warranty. They flew the lift in to the airport, because apparently they just send it around to whichever shop needs it for battery replacement, so I shudder to think what this cost Mitsubishi. I'll update when I learn if it's good to go and working!

Just an update, he called back and said that the vehicle was charging, so that's great. He's gonna unplug so it doesn't charge unattended over the weekend then finish the charging Monday, finish up with Mitsubishi, test drive, etc. I did ask him to ask them about which battery version it was. He said it was listed as ~$10,000 for the battery on his account, so that's interesting to know. Anyway, I'll do a final update when possible.

Brilliant, can you ask the service guy if he needed update the BMS as part of the battery exchange procedure, if it was required then you got the new LEV50N cells, happy days..

Back