Soon-to-be i-Miev owner needs some advice

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking at dozens of EVSE chargers on Amazon, this is the one I am planning to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LMV6LJR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ASIYMWBVZG7J0&psc=1

MikeMcA said:
After looking at dozens of EVSE chargers on Amazon, this is the one I am planning to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LMV6LJR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ASIYMWBVZG7J0&psc=1
I like it's adjustable-current feature and at 32A will certainly serve you well in the future.

In order to maximize battery longevity, one of the techniques used is to only charge the car to about 12 bars, and only rarely fully fully charge the car and only do that just before setting off on a trip that needs the increased range. Most modern EVs have belatedly (well after Tesla) wised up and allow adjusting the maximum charge level.

The timer in this EVSE can delay the starting of the charging, but, as best I can see, does not provide an early termination of the charging process. The solution is to either get very proficient with the Remote or install your own timer in series with the EVSE in order to stop the charging process early.
Edit (17 January): Alternatively, if you know the time you will be leaving you can delay the start of charging so that the car achieves whichever charge level you desire just as you are about to leave - there's little issue with fully charging the car as long as you drive it off right away and don't let it sit there fully charged (especially in hot weather). When the car was new the rule of thumb was 3 bars/hourcharging at 240v; as our cars age and capacity diminishes, I've found this number to be ~4bars/hourcharging.

Since you'll primarily use it at home and only take it on the road with you for longer trips, the absence of 120vac 12A charging capability may not matter much to you as you already have the (very slow) Mitsu 120vac 8A EVSE

Most of my friends are used to me showing up and plugging my EVSE into their dryer outlets, many of which are either in or close to the garage. For that I have a NEMA 14-30P -> 14-50R adapter for new (post-1996) houses and NEMA 10-30P -> 14-50R adapter for old houses.

I wanted to thank everyone for their good advice. It helped me get through my first 5 weeks of being a used 2012 I-Miev owner. So far, everything has been wonderful, although we have been very cautious as we learn about the car's capabilities. We haven't seen the turtle. The farthest we have traveled has been trips of 31 and 38 miles. A few days ago, I fully charged the car using my new Level 2 charger. Afterward, the range remaining gauge said 72 miles, which made me smile. Still, out of caution, I plan to wait a few more months, until it gets warmer, the snow disappears and I'm more accustomed to the car, before I try to use the I-Miev for my daily commute, which is 27 miles each way. I found a spot 4 blocks from my office where I can hook up to a free Level 2 charger for a few hours while I work. And I'm going to try to talk my employer into installing a Level 2 in our parking lot. One question I have involves my passenger side mirror. I don't see any damage but the mirror frame's connection to the door seems slightly loose. Has anyone run into this problem?

Update: I've been commuting daily for one month now in the used 2012 I-Miev that I purchased on Jan. 1. It's 54 miles roundtrip with most of the route on a highway and there are a few steep hills. I've made it roundtrip without charging 4 times, but most days I charge it for 2 1/2 hours about 4 blocks from my office at a free Level 2 while I work.
When I do make it home without charging I have had about 10 miles RR when I pull into my garage. I think I may have made it home without charging other times, but I'm still learning about the car's capabilities and didn't want to take the risk of running out of juice. It sure seems like on warmer days my range is better. Once it was pouring rain, and the range was much worse.
The car is driving well. My wife discovered the other day that there is a CD player hidden behind the navigation screen, and we were pretty delighted about that. The only issue I'm having so far is the sound of air entering the car someplace when I'm driving 50-55 on the highway. I haven't figured out if there is a gap in molding or what that's all about yet.
I'm planning to commute in the I-Miev from April through October and then will revert to my gas car during the Upstate New York winter. If the battery holds up and I can do that in 2023 and 2024, too, I'll make it to my retirement and will consider the I-Miev purchase a smashing success, especially if gas stays at $4-plus a gallon. Either way, it has been a very interesting experience.

MikeMcA said:
Update: I've been commuting daily for one month now in the used 2012 I-Miev that I purchased on Jan. 1. It's 54 miles roundtrip with most of the route on a highway and there are a few steep hills. I've made it roundtrip without charging 4 times, but most days I charge it for 2 1/2 hours about 4 blocks from my office at a free Level 2 while I work.
When I do make it home without charging I have had about 10 miles RR when I pull into my garage. I think I may have made it home without charging other times, but I'm still learning about the car's capabilities and didn't want to take the risk of running out of juice. It sure seems like on warmer days my range is better. Once it was pouring rain, and the range was much worse.
The car is driving well. My wife discovered the other day that there is a CD player hidden behind the navigation screen, and we were pretty delighted about that. The only issue I'm having so far is the sound of air entering the car someplace when I'm driving 50-55 on the highway. I haven't figured out if there is a gap in molding or what that's all about yet.
I'm planning to commute in the I-Miev from April through October and then will revert to my gas car during the Upstate New York winter. If the battery holds up and I can do that in 2023 and 2024, too, I'll make it to my retirement and will consider the I-Miev purchase a smashing success, especially if gas stays at $4-plus a gallon. Either way, it has been a very interesting experience.
That's awesome news!

Yes, EVs have more range in warm temperatures, and dry roads have lower rolling resistance. In contrast, nothing kills range faster than cold days (especially if you need heat and/or defrost), slushy roads, headwinds, speed, and hills. I take a blanket on cold days so that I don't need to use heat, and I cycle the defrost only when it's necessary. My out-and-back commute is about 34 miles--which is fine during the summer (I can often do it twice with one charge), but it can be a little tight on really windy and snowy winter days in Colorado. You're probably making the right call about driving your gas-powered car in the cold months. Just remember not to leave your i-Miev sitting with a full charge, and consider adding a float charger to keep the 12v battery charged & healthy,

I don't seem to have a lot of wind noise, although the car doesn't exactly have a lot of sound-dampening. I'm guessing you're right about some molding being out of place.

It's an old thread but I jsut wanted to put in my two penn'orth. It sounds like your i-Miev is equipped with both Level 1 and Level 2 charging capabilities as well as the DC Fast Charge port. If you want to charge at home, it's probably a good idea to consider upgrading your electric service to at least a 240V outlet, as this will allow you to charge much faster than with a standard 120V outlet. As for the type of outlet you need, a Level 2 docking station would be ideal, but you could also use a dryer-type outlet if that's what's available. Just make sure that the outlet is rated for at least 30 Amps to avoid any issues with charging. As for the auto transport dispatch, it's usually a good idea to have a backup plan in case something goes wrong on your trip. If you're planning on driving your i-Miev to your home, it's a good idea to have a few backup charging locations in case you run into any issues on the way.

i second the advice to have it towed since it is a new style of driving and its winter with possible snow and ice to contend, unless you have an excess amount of free time available to sit and wait at the Level 2 stations (likely 3 to 4 hours) and you are quite up for an adventure that might take 2 or more days.

9apps
cartoon hd

Back