Glove box stuck, how to open?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrycarrot

Hello everbody!

Unfortunately my glovebox is refusing to cooperate and is stuck shut. It seems like the latch is completely broken. Does anyone know what would be the best way to open it? I would really like to avoid damaging the dash further, but I am completely stumped. I tried shoving plastics cards in there to try and push the latches in from both sides, but I just can't get deep enough, and the plastic trim gets damaged easily.
Any ideas would be greately appreciated.

Best regards
Joel

Howdy Joel, welcome to the forum.

i had this problem back in the past.

the door is held closed on both sides by a latch into notches in the side frames. Both latches are released by the action of pulling up the center release paddle which rotates a cam cylinder that pulls the arms inwards. The arms fit into the cylinder by a square receiver socket with a simple detent hole, and the only thing holding it in is a little nub of plastic that fits into this detent.

One of the arms had slipped out of the detent on mine; i think i was able to release one latch by pulling up as normal on the paddle, then pulling open and sideways on the door to pull the stuck side loose, or prying the latch back with a small blade or ice pick.

Once you get it open the mechanism can be inspected and repaired by removing the 7 screws on the inside cover, then 2 screws holding the mechanism.

It seems like i may have found that the detent holes had burrs of plastic that was causing the arms to slip out. i used a drill bit and a sharp knife to clean out the hole and remove the burrs. No problems since then.

[edit] the left side latch might be accessed from behind with a long wooden dowel or screwdriver from the left side footwell near the accel and brade pedals. i can see clearly thru the center dash from the glovebox notch to the left side floor when the door is out.

Oops, putting it back in i now see a little blocking tab on the door.

The left side latch would be the one to attack with thin plastic cards, etc.

It's crazy all the security measures they put on the glovebox considering there is no key lock for it.

This may be when i removed the knee shredders too.
P8jqgNL.jpg

glovebox latch release showing the detent holes
S1Vglqh.png

kiev, Thank you very much for the detailed reply. In my case it seems that the latch is stuck on both sides, I have tried to open it again today using an arsenal of old credit cards and brute force, however I was unsuccessful. When I manage to open it, I'll make sure to post an update

Update as promised. I managed to get the right side latch open. If anyone attempts this, I strongly suggest not trying to force it open with credit cards or thin screwdrivers as you will damage the plastic. The way that I did it was first applying leverage with a large screwdriver and prying the glovebox open just enough so that the latch becomes visible. Then, I pressed on the exposed latch with a screwdriver and it released.
In my case, it seems like the plastic inside of the handle and the latches has become so worn that the thing just fell apart upon dissasembly. I ordered a new locking mechanism with both latches for approximately 30 euros - part numbers 8006A114XA, 8006A166, 8006A167

Back