Miles/kwh long term data?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luddite

Hi All,

It's been just over a year that I have had my little ion.
I have paid nothing except electricity, annual inspection and a wiper blade.
I also paid 44GBP for a charging card to access public charging and some L3 charges.
I have driven just over 10,000km in temperatures ranging from -5c to 25c.
I do about 1/3 town driving and 2/3 driving roads with a 60/70mph speed limit.
Sometimes I drive conservatively, sometimes, I floor it. :p

My total consumption has been 1,816Kwh
Miles traveled - 6800miles/10944km.
Miles/Kwh = 3.74
Km/Kwh = 6.03
267wh/mile
166wh/km

Electricity cost (home) = 236GBP ~$330 US - EUR 270 - cheaper electricity available but this is 100% hydro and wind.
Cost per mile = 3.5p/5c/ EUR 0.04

The next big expense will be new tyres for the front and at some point in the future, a new 12v battery.
Anyone else have any long term data from their cars?
I haven't measured individual trips, just from the long run. My charge cable is connected to a Kwh meter. I don't have canion yet..

As a comparison, my last car would have used 161 UK gallons - 735 litres of diesel - costing 880GBP - $1230 or 1000 EUR. Also saved 2,000kg of Co2. :mrgreen:

I've been driving my Ion for about a year and have done 12k miles.

My daily commute (which is about 80% of my driving) is 38 miles - half 30mph residential, half motorway 50-70mph.

In summer without the heater I'm getting about 4.2 miles/kWh measured at the wall (including charging losses) averaged across the daily commute and in winter with heater use about 3.3 miles/kWh. So my yearly average will be somewhere between those two figures. (I haven't tried to work it out as I haven't been keeping detailed enough records)

I pay 12.3p/kWh at home so my summer cost per mile for charging is 2.9p/mile and winter is 3.7p/mile. This compares to around 28p/mile for my petrol V6 for fuel alone which sees little use now. :D

I also don't have Canion yet but am waiting on my OBDLink LX to arrive. Keep in mind that any figure you get for miles / kWh from Canion will need to be adjusted down by approximately 10% to compare to your figures measured at the wall, to show true electricity use and cost, since the figures retrieved from the car itself don't include the charging losses.

Hi Luddite - I had somehow missed your 2 April post. Between you, DBMandrake, and myself, we are seeing fairly consistent results on our wall-to-wheels numbers. Early in my i-MiEV ownership, I had carefully maintained my energy consumption for over 8000 miles and published the results here:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=403&start=20#p5744
Driving with a 50/50 mix of highway/city miles with no heat or a/c gave me an average of 4.2 miles/kWh.

There are two reasons for tracking kWh:
1. Figure out what the 'fuel' costs are for our little i-MiEVs
2. Understand the consumption efficiency

I finally gave up keeping meticulous records, because my 'fuel' costs have essentially been zero (I have fully-amortized large grid-tied solar which is $-positive) and the consumption varies all over the place based on climate control usage. Besides, since doing that study I have reverted to being a carefree leadfoot, only driving efficiently during range-pushing longer trips. :roll:

Knocking on wood, after over 100,000 miles across three i-Mievs, the only costs incurred have been tires and (just recently) a couple of quarts of transmission fluid - that is, if we ignore depreciation, vehicle registration, and insurance. :geek:

JoeS said:
Hi Luddite - I had somehow missed your 2 April post. Between you, DBMandrake, and myself, we are seeing fairly consistent results on our wall-to-wheels numbers. Early in my i-MiEV ownership, I had carefully maintained my energy consumption for over 8000 miles and published the results here:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=403&start=20#p5744
Driving with a 50/50 mix of highway/city miles with no heat or a/c gave me an average of 4.2 miles/kWh.

Hi JoeS,

Thanks for your post and link to the earlier post - it can be difficult to search for older posts.
Good to see that my figures are in line with others' despite differing climates :)

Back