2012 Car charging variably

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phb10186

Hi all,

I have a 2012 car with about 22k miles that suddenly went in to limp mode, while circa 30% SOC, and then refused to AC 240v charge.

12V battery was also flat-ish, but the 12v battery itself is new. The car had been sitting for about a week, but it was up and driving.

Then it refused to charge, just the red flashing charge light whenever AC connecting.

So diagnostics:

- Canion shows all cells are fine, and within very small max/min range
- Chademo worked fine
- Main fuse not blown
- All car fuses checked, but not the relays, nothing was blown.
- no other obvious faults
- nothing has been messed with or altered with the car recently or ever, it is as it came out the factory.
- never had an accident, in fact this one is in very good shape.
- battery voltage now 12.6 and 14.2 when in READY.
- car is 100% original, and never had any repairs.

This therefore ruled out a DC-DC issue, so I then suspected a combination of slightly flat 12v, and a bad earth somewhere. I didn't find a bad earth, but I know the EVSE lead I use is fine, as it charges our other IMIEV up fine.

I gave the AC charge port three blasts of electrical contact cleaner, and charged up the 12v... lo and behold it started charging, but then stopped after 10 minutes. 2nd attempt, it went for 30 mins then stopped, and third attempt it looks to have fully charged.

I have not tried again yet, but I am after thoughts as to what is going on here.

I suppose there could have been dirt in the charge port (never been cleaned in 9y to my knowledge), but I am currently unsure as to the limp mode issue then the subsequent AC charge issues.

I don't see any AC board failures... it seems to always be the DC-DC one.

Any thoughts while I monitor things?

my other car is also a 2012, slightly different cosmetic spec, but mechanically and electrically identical - ive never had any issues with that one either, and it had about 45k miles now... so more than twice....

phb10186 said:
12V battery was also flat-ish, but the 12v battery itself is new. The car had been sitting for about a week, but it was up and driving.

i suspect a weak 12V was your culprit here. It may have sulfated plates and need a good charge to clean up.

i recently bought 3 12V batteries for my vehicles; the date code on them was from Aug to October of 2020, so they had been sitting on the shelf a long time. These "brand new" batteries were at 12.4, and it took several days on the Yuasa 1Amp charger to get them to read full ~12.8V.

Back