Why are the floor connection brackets from the batt to the body so important?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebbetufs

Why did Mitsubishi go through the trouble of making the floor frame plates no. 12 in the URL below?

They have even gone through the trouble to use threadlocker to secure them, and to give them a special warning in the service manual. Still, I can't see them having any structural function as they only have 1 m8 bolt linking them to the body. Compared to the ten m12 bolts holding the battery this has no structural benefit.

Could they have a grounding or equalizing function? Seems strange given that the main battery has a dedicated grounding strap connecting it to the body.

Any thoughts?
ACA02385AB00ENG.png

Here's a better image: mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual/img/54/ACA02385AB00ENG.pdf

Yes. One grounds to the body. The other grounds the internals of the battery compartment to the battery carrying frame.

A friend suggested they are equalization/grounding straps. One reason I suspect he may be on to something is that these are the only points where the battery case rails are connected to thicker metal part which has only a thin layer of black paint as opposed to the multilayered acrylic paint of the body where the m12 bolts holding the battery are attached. The thinner paint could possibly offer a better connection.Then again- that metal part is boltet to the body on top of the paint, so maybe not...

Back