Is main battery fan needed for l2 charging?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofrancis

I have a Peugeot ion that has been brought to me to look at as its not charging, when its plugged in nothing happens, the charger is detected and have done all the usual diagnostics to the charger and everything i have tested suggests that it is fine and something else is stopping charging. the only other issue i have found is a blown fuse that i thought was for the charger but upon further research is actually the main battery ventilation fan.

so my question is, I know the fan does a self test when the car is first plugged into a charger by running for a few seconds then shutting off. but does anyone know if the car will refuse to charge if the fan is not working? a simple test would be to pull fuse 15 for the main battery cooling fan and see if the car will start to charge when plugged into 240v, i know the non chademo equipped cars dont have the fan so thats why im not sure if its actually required.

Very good question - I'm not certain as to the answer, but I will relate that just once in 8+ years I did plug in the car to charge and the internal fan failed to do it's thing, but the car charged anyway - I listen for the fan every time I plug it in and this was the only time it didn't come on. Every time since then it has worked as usual, so I have no idea why it failed that one time, but the car did recharge without it. I was charging on 120 volts at the time, if that matters

If I had to guess . . . . I would say that your blown fuse probably is related to your Ion failing to charge . . . . but, that's just a guess

Don

I'll try to test this function soon, but I'd bet that you are correct; that the fan operation is required or at least the car must think so.
In restoring 1998-2000 Ford Ranger EV pickup trucks, we have to leaf the fan motor in action, lest we trip an error code.
The fan can even be removed, but motor load must be sensed for all to work right.
-Jay

Geofrancis said:
I know the non chademo equipped cars dont have the fan so thats why im not sure if its actually required.
My non chademo equipped I-Miev still has a fan and a few second fan test when I plug it in so maybe it's required?

ed5000 said:
... My non chademo equipped I-Miev still has a fan and a few second fan test when I plug it in so maybe it's required?
um, are you sure of that? Did you run the VIN through the Mitsu database, as I presume the left cover release handle under the driver's seat is non-existent? Now that I think about it, perhaps the cold-weather package has the fan?

JoeS said:
ed5000 said:
... My non chademo equipped I-Miev still has a fan and a few second fan test when I plug it in so maybe it's required?
um, are you sure of that? Did you run the VIN through the Mitsu database, as I presume the left cover release handle under the driver's seat is non-existent? Now that I think about it, perhaps the cold-weather package has the fan?

As far as i know only chademo and winter pack cars had the fan.

I have replaced the fuse and nothing changed so next step is to change the relay and probe the fan connector at the rear of the battery just infront of the axle. Hopefully its just a faulty wire and I dont have to remove the battery to get to the fan.

tried without the fuses or relay and the car threw and fan error immediately, so its probably not the fan power supply. is there a way of testing the fan other than with the charger?

Hi

You can also do an actuation test in the BMU with suitable diagnostic equipment as below

9NZOWZY.jpg

Yes main battery fan is needed. Before every charging cycle ECU checks if the main battery fan rotates it has somekind of hall sensor in the fan motor for that.

Back