What EV would you buy or lease if you were buying today?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I are juggling with this decision here in the next few months. We have our 2012 iMiEV, which I use as my daily commuter car. Love it for that! We also have an old 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan we use for our longer trips, when we bring my in-laws along with our family (which is frequently), or when we need the extra cargo capacity (very often). The Sienna is really showing its age, and we intend to replace it later this year. We love the space and the more refined luxury appointments in our Sienna (it's the LXE Limited package). We don't want to give that up. However, we absolutely hate, Hate, HATE the gas-guzzling inefficiency of our minivan.

We would love to replace our Sienna with another minivan, but we do NOT want to get stuck with another gas-guzzling ICE vehicle. Thankfully, Chrysler will begin selling their PHEV Pacifica later this year. It has more refinements and features than our current Sienna and will get an estimated 80 MPGe! The downside is that it will come at a hefty price. After the massive depreciation hit we took after buying our Meepster brand new, we are very hesitant to buy another EV brand new. Plus, we are still making payments on our Meepster (have about another 1.5 years left). Our current working plan is to sell our Sienna via private party sale right at the time we intend to get the Pacifica. We will then lease the Pacifica and use the proceeds from the sale of the Sienna to make the monthly lease payments. Once our Meepster is fully paid off, we will save that money every month and potentially use it to purchase the Pacifica at lease end, depending on the buy out cost.

It's not the best plan and definitely not the most efficient use of our money. However, with the circumstances our family has, we really need the extra size and range that our Sienna affords when we need it. We can't and don't want to go with anything smaller. We've been holding out on replacing our Sienna for a long time now because there just weren't any viable options for a minivan that gets "good" gas mileage. All ICE minivans suck in that department! That's why we were so excited when Chrysler announced they would be offering a PHEV minivan!

You have just restated our family conundrum: the balance between owning/leasing versus ride sharing/rental.

We chose the latter, sold our van, and the ride sharing choice seems to be working. For short term hauling, we have friends we can borrow a truck from.

Perhaps, leasing or buying the Pacifica and then renting it out?

Its a tough decision.

Fresh videos of the Bolt are now up.
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-starts-pre-production-in-michigan-video/

This GM car is striking me as what a next-gen i-MiEV should've been. A five seat jellybean with 200 miles of range and 13% more cargo capacity, all for less than the original MSRP ($35k for the 2012 i-MiEV Premium edition).

As of 3/2016 I WOULD BUY BUY BUY!

I get the inside scoop about the iMiev because my father in law works for Mitsu Corporate. Right now he says there are so many rebates on the 2016 models that with the federal rebate (7500) and the California rebate (2500) and now the 0% financing for 60 months you can pick up a brand new model for 11K (23K - 2K Dealer Cash - 500 Loyalty - 10K Tax rebates) and not pay a penny towards interest. Plus the new models come with the Level 3 charger.

If you don't pay enough taxes to take advantage of the rebates, I would totally wheel and deal with a dealer. I bet you could offer $5K for a 2012 and you could get one. It is totally worth paying the average asking price of $6-8K because you save so much in gas!

I love my iMiev. I was lucky to get a deal with mine but what it costs for a new or a used one you can not lose. The saving in gas alone has paid for my iMiev. If you are in California it is a no-brainer. The Carpool Sticker is worth more than the car costs to me. And our electric company (SCE) gives you a huge break on your electric bill to make it almost nothing to drive. My electric bill has never been over $200/mo for ALL my electric at my house (AC EV Lights etc.)

Here is someone who appears to be giving away a new Leaf if anyone is interested:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5500466685.html

His remarks to me:

"If interested, I am planning on trading it in late next week and as you can imagine the dealer is not very generous. They say they will sell it in the mid-20’s once I give it to them. I would much rather sell the car to an individual than see these guys making thousands…"

RobbW said:
My wife and I are juggling with this decision here in the next few months. ...
We would love to replace our Sienna with another minivan, but we do NOT want to get stuck with another gas-guzzling ICE vehicle. Thankfully, Chrysler will begin selling their PHEV Pacifica later this year.

Indeed. The PHEV Pacifica has replaced the Outlander PHEV at the top of my family hauler wish list. If they offer attractive lease terms, my wife might opt for an upgrade. The Honda Odyssey still runs strong and is clean, but at 205,000 miles; it's done if the transmission fails again. My Chrysler dealer has no idea when they'll see the "Pacifica Hybrid".

Back