Took My First Long Range Trip

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed5000

I took my first long range trip this week. What I mean by long range is that I had to charge somewhere other than my house to get home. I started out at work fully charged in Oakland, CA and drove to Mill Valley to my parents house which is a 30 mile trip and 450 feet above sea level. I had about a half tank remaining on the fuel gauge.

I recharged there with my small Clipper Creek evse which now has a welding plug that fits an outlet at both my and my parent's house. I left Mill Valley regenning all the way down the hill and drove in slow traffic across the San Rafael bridge arriving in Oakland (30 miles) with 3/4 tank remaining which kind of surprised me. :shock: I was expecting to have a 1/2 tank remaining. From there I drove home to Castro Valley another 16 miles which brought my tank to 3/8 tank where I have to climb to 250 feet above sea level to get to my front door.

Overall, I was very happy with the performance. :mrgreen: I will have to get Canion so I can report with more accurate numbers.

Glad you had a good experience

Time to stretch your Mievs legs now that your over the first extended trip .
Don't worry these cars can do it.

Congrats on your first long trip. Main thing is, enjoy but don't get overconfident. I have done over 260 miles, but it can be challenging at times.Plugshare is always your friend, and always have a plan B....
Enjoy your i-miev, don't be afraid to use it on short trips!

ed5000 said:
I left Mill Valley regenning all the way down the hill and drove in slow traffic across the San Rafael bridge arriving in Oakland (30 miles) with 3/4 tank remaining which kind of surprised me. :shock: I was expecting to have a 1/2 tank remaining
Congrats!

You learned a couple of things - Going slowly and downhill the car will go lots farther than going fast and uphill ;-)

Whenever you're running low on juice, get on the side roads where you can drive 30 or 35 and you'll probably make it home - Many times the side roads are actually the shorter way to go as well. Before you leave, you can play with your favorite map program to see where you can save a few miles and go slower in the process - Both will gain you many more miles of range

Don

Back