National Electric Drive Week, Kalamazoo, Michigan anyone?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenBrown

I've gotten support from the local Sierra Club, Nissan Dealership, BMW and the local People's Food Co-op to help host a see/ride/drive experience in
Kalamazoo, Michigan on that Wednesday. Right now we have my mighty Gregg (the i-miev), a couple of Leafs, a Volt, an i3 and are hoping for a few more good electrics.
Anyone within driving distance, we have *Level 2 chargers galore at the moment.

I hope we can get some more i-miev's out. As far as I'm concerned they ARE THE car for local commuting!

Success to us all...

Ben

***bad haggis... our local solar charging station is being decommissioned due to lack of use. Chances are VERY good it is less a matter or use of the stations
and more to do with our congressman's focus on supporting vehicles that have an engine. (Our state congressman is married into one of the largest richest and
most powerful families involved with fracking, plus he owns oil stock.
We NEED to get people in the seat of an ev really, really badly in Michigan and soon. Please if you can support your local EV event, do so. Thanks...

So Ben, is this the solar array/EV charging station that you referred to?
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/02/western_michigan_university_sa.html

Looks like the university did a poor job of managing the original deployment and left some bruised egos even in the tree-hugging community. What about the WMU fleet of Fort Transit Connect Electrics? Are those still running strong? The few that made it out to Seattle are still working well.

There were several local examples of too many L2 EVSE installed in a single location, but those that I'm aware of have just eased up on the parking restrictions rather than throw more dollars down the hole by removing good equipment. Only Blink stations are getting scrapped though, through every fault of their own.

jray3 said:
So Ben, is this the solar array/EV charging station that you referred to?
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/02/western_michigan_university_sa.html

Looks like the university did a poor job of managing the original deployment and left some bruised egos even in the tree-hugging community. What about the WMU fleet of Fort Transit Connect Electrics? Are those still running strong? The few that made it out to Seattle are still working well.

Yep... those are the ones.. No, all of the complaints actually were not from treehuggers, but from supported Koch trolls. (really and truly.)
I am critically embarrassed that the ev owners I met that did charge the cars there during the semester absolutely knew nothing about heat affecting the batteries, charging to 100% every time, they were even shocked to think I would take a 98 mile trip in a pure electric car.. In a nutshell we are SO isolated from accurate information. Most people here honestly rely on information congressman Fred Upton and the governor supplies on energy efficiency and renewables... which is why we are leaning toward completely scrapping mandatory renewable energy targets and making them all voluntary. We absolutely do not trust wind or solar power to be clean renewable energy, but we actually are looking to legally pass burning tires as a way to produce clean safe power.

The only electric vehicles in Michigan suggested to be remotely practical (and w/out additional tax) are cars like the Chevy Volt as far as I know. Pure electrics are believed to be destroying roads without paying any tax what so ever.

So far as of this moment when classes are out for the most part there are only one or two cars charging. Progressively, during each semester there have been more cars charging (almost all left there all day.) This Spring we had seven cars in addition to the five WMU vans all charging. It appears they want to pull out the chargers before they become used enough to justify the system. They all were working when half were locked up.

Removing the RPS, removing public charging... this is no accident and not the result of no demand. It rates also with why we the supposed 'Auto Capital of the World' only have 2 DCQC's in the whole state capable of charging i-miev's, while Illinois has more than 29 of them just around Lakeshore Drive, a single passage way, in Chicago.

Wow, and I thought my town was backwards. I live in gas central, where all of our roads are being progressively destroyed by frac tanker trucks, pickup trucks, and pipelines. For a while there, I had to pick a different route to work each day. Sure, solar installations have increased...powering equipment on remote well pads and pipelines. :roll:

Hmm, only support for the Volt in Michigan, how uncanny. :roll: That's where my second i-MiEV came from. Originally leased in Michigan, bought by me in western Ohio, and now lives in southwestern PA.

Update: Flash to all Michigan voters... The 19th our state legislators are voting to block home owners and small businesses from receiving netmetering on solar electric. The ultimate goal is to prevent choice in power generation source. Please e-mail or call your congressman before the end of Friday or go to Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association's website for more information...

(while increasing support for fracking, oil and gas)

The National Drive Electric Week Kalamazoo currently has one Leaf, three Volts (a possible i3) and my i-miev for the ride/drive.

Legislators in southwest Michigan want to hear from owners showing up at the event if there is a need to encourage level 2, even DCQC in Michigan. No fans of cars like the Leaf, like the i-miev, then definitely no policy support for them. In fact even some single Level 2 charging stations in Kalamazoo that were in prime locations have been removed because there is 'proof' all electric cars are 'outliers'. No one wants them. Proof needed for some people is not a statistic, but a real person...

Recently, I made several trips to visit my brother-in-law after his surgery 2 hours away by ICE. I made the trips with Gregg the imiev. I could get by with one level 2 charge and one DCQC. That DCQC was GOLD and made a significant difference. We need more DCQC in Michigan.

There were at least a dozen or more i-miev's leased in Michigan. Most of those were sold out of state when their leases expired. I know of several that were sold from West Michigan out of state.

If any one within a charge or two of Kalamazoo still owns an i-miev (or Leaf or i3) I'd like to hear what would make a trip to Kalamazoo feasible for you. I'd like you feel celebrated, welcomed and among friends... If you have time I could even show you the town!

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=454

At the end of this post is the report I gave to our local Southwest Michigan Sierra Group, which was one of the sponsors.

Interesting facts... we had our Ride/Drive event in two locations due to being at a busy farmer's market... The ride/drive part was apx. 1 block away and I could not be in both places... This upset two couples who had to settle for riding in a Model S when they really wanted to ride in the i-MiEV. One of couples were so adamant that volunteers came and got me so they could ride in Gregg the i-miev. They knew their budget couldn't support a Tesla, but wondered about a used i-miev. They seemed happy with everything they learned and experienced with the i-miev.

I also saw that 2 i-miev's showed up across the state in Ann Arbor at their Ride/Drive event. I DO wish I could network with the drivers of those cars. I also read that dealers fail pretty much across the nation on selling any electric vehicle. IF i-miev's are to survive it will be because owners share rides and stories about what they like and the realities of living with an i-miev. This is much like the success of Tesla, owners as much as anyone are why Teslas thrive, from videos to owners' meet ups.

=======================

For my report you can read below...

The best we can say is that this 21 person survey represents a sample of those who participated in the ride/share event. We can't even say this is a good sample. We can't say this reprents 'x' percent of the total participants, because we would need an accurate count of people registering and ride/driving which we were not able to achieve. This survey does not include survey results of those who only attended the screenings of 'Who Killed the Electric Car,' just those who participated in the Ride/Drive event who chose to fill out the survey.

This though is a start. Perhaps we can collaborate next year with K-College or WMU Sustainability Office to have students help us do a more revealing and accurate survey/count in the future..

Concerns in order before the ride:
1.distance
2.charger locations/opportunity
2.costs
3. battery and vehicle integrity...

Definitely cost and charging were up on the list... but ahead of that was the question of how far can you safely go. Those concerns predominated before the ride.. Most people seemed to have their concerns answered in speaking with owners of the vehicles during and after the rides/drives.

I was actually surprised pre-ride those who responded to what they liked about electric cars cited was that there were no emissions. Additionally, at least three people in the small sample (21 respondents) stated independent of one another that they didn't want to use any gasoline or contribute to climate change.

I was also surprised equally as high a response was that people had already read about and researched before coming to the event, that renewables like wind and solar could charge up an electric car. There was one who said he already knew some utilities (not in Michigan) were investigating paying electric car owners to store electric in their vehicles while parked.

Though this was not on the survey... I know a lot of people were dissappointed more of the cars, like the i3, i3 Rex, i-miev, roadster were not more avaiable for rides/drives... my lack there... I should have located display models earlier..as well as ride models...

Even though the people had read up on electric cars... nothing they read prepared them for the power available to an electric car, yet how smooth and quiet the vehicle was. This was stated on almost every survey returned in one way or another.

======================================

Other data:

Car ownershsip: Most of the participants owned at least two vehicles or more, with one or two attending owning 5 or more. Replacing at least one of the cars with an electric was a strategy several had already considered.

We had one person contacted pre-event confirm he was in the process finalizing plans to purchase a Model S.

Since the event we have had groups involved start investigating how they might add purchase or leasing of BEV's to their fleet.

Post event four individuals have stated they are looking to see if they can make a purchase of a highway capable ev (2 leafs, 1 Tesla, 1 i-miev or Leaf.)

One is researching information about a highway capable electric motorcycle, but was not clear on purchasing.

Several (5 or more) stated interest in researching more about solar charging of vehicles, and most riders/drivers spoken to about pv/ev's were extremely positive.

All participants were extremely positive about the possibility of Level 3 charging both locally and for longer distance driving to make intercity driving more viable.

We also had a couple of people inquire about doing an ev conversion..

I hope this is helpful information. I look forward to gathering more information through contacts with participants who've asked to remain in contact with electric car owners. I will be curious as to how closely attendance matches the 15% ownership curve in the next 12 months, as well as other results like requests for further networking and advocacy.

On behalf of NDEW Kalamazoo and now, simply, the local Southwest Michigan Sierra Club Group and Michigan Electric Auto Association...

Success to us all (if for no other reason than our children's future.)

Ben Brown

Back