iPad app to read from diagnostic OBDII interface?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

My son brought over a bluetook connector that plugs into the OBD diagnostic port on any car that has one and transmitts to any compatible bluetooth enabled device's software.
Problem was that the receiving end software on the ipad was clearly interested in an ICE car looking for things such as the O2 sensor, etc.

We did find some software claiming to be MiEV reading-capable but --
a) the bluetoot connection seemed to be a bit unreliable.
and
b) more important, as far as I could tell it didn't show anything really interesting (such as rate of charge, total KW hours capacity of the battery, etc).

My question is....
Anyone know of any diagnostic OBD reading software for the MiEV that runs on iPad?
I guess second choice would be software that runs on Windows as I could USB connect my Windows laptop to our MiEV.
Third, and very last, choice would be android sofware, as hate to by even a cheap android device as it would be ONLY for reading MiEV.

Alex

Alex

Why no love for Android?

Right now, the only app compatible with both the i-MiEV and an iPad is OVMS, which requires you to buy a module to connect to the car with a cell plan for communicating with a server. It will tell you information such as RR, SoC as a percentage, battery temperature, motor temperature, and inverter temperature. Other than that, we have CaniOn for Android, which tells you individual cell voltage, cell block temperatures, heater and air conditioner usage, pack voltage, pack amps, and a few other metrics. The only tool that will display pack capacity is the MUT III.

I really don't have anything against Android.
Understandably, without a straightlaced "gated community guard" like Apple's app store has (if you don't jailbreak it) it or some apps are probably a bit less stable.

I just happen to be heavily invested in iPads and don't want to sink more money into tablets and learn a new interface. (Coming from a deep Windows background I have a love-hate relationship with my iPads. Most of it is so elegantly designed, yet parts are ridiculously frustrating. For example, it's actually impossible to simply move a photo from one album to another.... something that's a simple drag-and-drop in Windows. And no USB port... Don't get me started. But, I digress from the topic. :oops:

-----
Thanks,
Your narrowing it down to that one iPad app saves me from fruitless searching.

So let me get this straight: with OVMS I only need a wireless data plan in the iPad... not some wireless plan in a box interfaced to the car?

So is there any meaningful/useful difference between the Soc that OVMS shows and on the MiEV instrument panel ---- or between the RR that OVMS shows and what's on the MiEV instrument panel?
And battery temperature, motor temperature, and inverter temperature, to me in my mild climate and mild use seem marginally useful in my case.

But doesn't it at least extract error codes?

Alex

As far as I know, we don't have any tools to pull codes, yet.

With OVMS, you need a (cheap) plan on a module you install in the car. I use PTel for this, at a cost of $20 every three months.

SoC shown in OVMS is a percentage, much more detailed than the 16 bars on the dash. Also, RR will match the number on the dash, though you have to look at the estimated range number, not ideal (a holdover from OVMS being designed for the Tesla Roadster).

acensor said:
I have a love-hate relationship with my iPads. Most of it is so elegantly designed, yet parts are ridiculously frustrating. For example, it's actually impossible to simply move a photo from one album to another.... something that's a simple drag-and-drop in Windows. And no USB port... Don't get me started.
A friend mistakenly bought an iPad strictly for use with his camera gear and only later on discovered all that you just mentioned. It's for sale now and he just invested in a Samsung Galaxy tablet

Don

Back