I lost my second ignition key - Will this work?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veimi

I can't find my second spare ignition key and was in a panic the other day when I also couldn't find the key I always use.

Fortunately I did find my primary key. To ensure that this doesn't happen again I ordered two blank keys with chips in them which have to be cut and programmed.

I was wondering if programming is necessary if I leave the original key in the car at all times for example taped to the steering column. Will I be able to use the newly cut unprogrammed keys to open the car doors and start the car?

Just an update. I had my new keys cut and they will open the car doors and turn on the acessories such as the radio.

No matter where I position the stock car key, however, the new key will not put the car into ready mode.

Any of those concerned that this might not have been a good idea no longer need to worry.

It is my understanding that the new key has an RFID chip which must be programmed. Whether or not this chip must be removed to prevent it and the original key from interfering with each other is an experiment that I will try by removing the chip on the new key.

Back