EV charger power

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jonny
If there is no selector switch (check side or back) then yours it cannot be programmed.
The 16A rating is probably for a 110V AC supply which translates to about 8A on 220V AC
Mickey

There is a 16 amp charger.
Is it possible to reprogram it to 8 or 10 amps?
not straight forward but doable. The pilot signal, a 1khz +-12v square-wave, coming out of the charger can be intercepted and replaced with an external wave. There's a nice description of J1772 stuff on wiki. I personally have yet to do this, but it's on my to-do list

1703429616134.png

The 16A is a maximum that the EVSE can supply, but the OBC will only draw whatever it needs.

There is not a problem to use an EVSE with a higher spec rating than the OBC--it is the car that controls the actual current.

thanks for answers
the problem is bad wiring, so I want to reduce the charging power
The device is designed for 220 volts 16 amperes
The idea of replacing the pilot signal is good, but how to make the charger see the response from the car

The idea of replacing the pilot signal is good, but how to make the charger see the response from the car
Good point.

The easiest way might be to open up the EVSE, find the place where the 1 kHz signal comes from, and replace it with a 555 timer or similar circuit,

Or just get an adjustable EVSE from Ali Express.

Back