kiev

Re: my Miev will not charge

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:03 am

In Skylogger's first repair there was also a displaced resistor on the bottom board that prevented operation of the OBC. Maybe he could help you look if yall are nearby in WA. (is anything nearby in WA?)

The trouble codes might provide a clue if you have a way to extract those, e.g. MUT readout by dealer or using a clone, i909, etc.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

redcane

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I checked that specific resistor and I've had a good look for any other visually apparent problems. I guess I'll recheck everything today.

Unfortunately I'm on the east coast, WA is virtually a different country.

The trouble codes didn't seem very specific, and the dealer charged $395 for them last time. I might have to get an MUT clone, standard OBD readers don't seem to work very well on the imiev.

mikedufty

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Mine is also not working with errors despite the whole charger being replaced by a Mitsubishi dealer. If they manage to fix it I will try to find out what the problem was and post here.

redcane

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:24 am

New information on my imiev. Now it won't go into "ready" mode.

We reassembled everything after replacing snubber caps in the OBC. Put in temporary fuse. No charging. Decided to sleep on it.

This morning after checking things and trying to start the car realised we had disconnected the service plug in the battery pack. Replaced the service plug, and trying to start we heard contactors on the first attempt but didn't reach "ready". Tried locking and unlocking to make sure the security system was disarmed. Subsequent attempts the contactor dance had stopped. Tried putting extra charge in the auxiliary battery. We get a " ding ding ding " chime for about 10 seconds but no ready. From memory we used to get a " ding ding ding" chime briefly before a short sharp "ding-ding" when the ready light came on.

Have checked over all fuses, and related relays and all seem good.

I think our next step is reading or clearing trouble codes with an i909. I wonder if we've raised an error code due to the service fuse being initially unplugged that needs to be cleared, or if we've created another fault.

Mike, have they taken the inverter cover off and checked the charger/obc 450V 20A fuse? It seems like it blows in 90% of cases from my reading. If you find another issue it would be most interesting.

redcane

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:59 am

Just a note, from what I've seen of the service manual, there is no mention of the fuse - the troubleshooting flow chart suggests replacement of the EV-ECU and charger/DC-DC after checking the wiring harnesses and relays. It seems like quite an oversight in the troubleshooting process.

coulomb

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 am

redcane wrote: Now it won't go into "ready" mode.
We reassembled everything after replacing snubber caps in the OBC. Put in temporary fuse. No charging. Decided to sleep on it.

Is the temporary fuse easy to remove? I'd pull the service connector and wait 10 minutes before doing this. If so, does it now go to ready?

In other words, is it the OBC that is stopping ready, or is something else stopping it?

from what I've seen of the service manual, there is no mention of the fuse - ... It seems like quite an oversight in the troubleshooting process.

Yes, quite the elephant in the room! [ Edit: if it was true. ]
Last edited by coulomb on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiev

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:05 am

redcane wrote:Just a note, from what I've seen of the service manual, there is no mention of the fuse - the troubleshooting flow chart suggests replacement of the EV-ECU and charger/DC-DC after checking the wiring harnesses and relays. It seems like quite an oversight in the troubleshooting process.

i think all the information is available, but here is a detailed version:

There is a listing of troubleshooting steps in post #2 of the OBC Troubleshooting thread that contain Step #2 lists the OBC codes ["P" codes] that will be stored in the EV-ECU, and Step #3 lists the internal code numbers [number codes] that will be stored in the OBC. All this is from the workshop manual.

Internal OBC Code number 02 leads to a troubleshooting guide that includes checking the 20A fuse in the MCU. The procedure for checking/replacing the fuse is included in the MCU section of the manual.

Workshop Manual MCU fuse links:

OBC Code 02 troubleshooting

How to access and replace the MCU fuse

HTH

redcane

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm

coulomb wrote:Is the temporary fuse easy to remove? I'd pull the service connector and wait 10 minutes before doing this. If so, does it now go to ready?

In other words, is it the OBC that is stopping ready, or is something else stopping it?

We waitied two weeks with the service plug disconnected last time ;)

The temporary fuse still has continuity, in fact without the contactors closing it hasn't even seen voltage.
We tried disconnecting the OBC comms connector (E-02?), however the car still wouldn't go into ready.
I guess with the fuse open circuit it could eliminate a ground fault, and it is possible we introduced one in working in the charger.

kiev wrote:Internal OBC Code number 02 leads to a troubleshooting guide that includes checking the 20A fuse in the MCU.

You certainly know your way around the service manual!
Interesting - however our original fault codes led the dealer to want to replace the charger first. I'd have to review if we had an internal OBC code 02 - the print out is with the car.

We also noticed for the P0A09 the high voltage level check is done via the MUT-III, which presumably uses the BMS taps, and doesn't rely on the contactors operation.

kiev

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Obviously the car won't go to READY with the service plug disconnected.

Coulomb wanted you to remove the MCU fuse and see if the car would start with the OBC/DC converter power connection to the pack removed, i.e. the temporary fuse removed. As a safety concern, there will be HV on the big capacitor inside the MCU connected to the lines that the fuse is attached. That HV is supposed to bleed off over about 3 minutes, so check the voltage on the HV at the MCU terminals before touching the fuse to remove it, then replace the service plug if it has been disconnected. That was the test, not to remove the E-03 connector, just the fuse.

Since you tried to start with the service plug disconnected, then there has likely been a DTC code thrown that may resolve on it's own, or may need clearing by external means. Sometimes it seems that codes may clear after the Aux battery has been disconnected for a couple of hours, e.g. loosen and remove the negative terminal on the Aux. Also there is a position switch inside the service plug housing that sends a signal to the EV-ECU, and that must be working properly or P0A0A gets set. Check the FSM for whether or not a MUT clear is needed if the service plug gets disconnected and starting is attempted. Also with the E-03 connector open then there has likely been additional DTCs thrown. You can't be sloppy when working with HV and software-controlled systems and expect happy results, usually The Bad Thing™ happens.

redcane

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Once realising the service plug was still disconnected, we were hoping reconnecting it would allow the car to go ready. Obviously we didn't expect it to function with the service plug disconnected. My concern was subsequent to replacing there would be a non self clearing DTC set, but I'm not sure if anyone else has tested this theory. I have no way to know if this is the case until I get my hands on an i909, which I have ordered. We tried disconnecting the 12V battery for 10 minutes, but it sounds like this isn't long enough?

Coulombs suggestion to remove the fuse is a good one - but unfortunately not one I thought to try at the time. The car is not located at my house, it's located at a friends house so there are some delays in attempting these things. (On the flip side of this, he has experience working on EVs and HVDC having built one of his own, which is handy).

We did trace the wiring for the Service Plug position switch to a relay adjacent to the EV-ECU, but we ran out of time to find a good test for it's function in the FSM. I think I will need to print out large sections of the service manual.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”