DIY Battery Upgrade Project

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drcat

Hello guys

I'm starting my battery upgrade project. A hobby one. Not sure if I'll ever finish this but will publish any progress and will answer any questions I can.

So first... there are some hobby projects around installing an extra battery in parallel or replacing all the cells with MMCs having more capacity and complains about its impossible to make the car thinking of the real mileage thus requiring some effort like unplugging 12V battery to pull more energy from the traction one.

I've started from resolving this and here's what I've got...
https://youtu.be/8KV6SuI31YE

I was able to make it thinking it has a much larger battery really cheap. Need to drive it for a while and see how it behaves on chademos with a hack like that.

Next, I'll need to buy cells for repacking and do the whole thing. Sounds like a long story. Let's give it a try...

drcat said:
Hello guys

I'm starting my battery upgrade project. A hobby one. Not sure if I'll ever finish this but will publish any progress and will answer any questions I can.

So first... there are some hobby projects around installing an extra battery in parallel or replacing all the cells with MMCs having more capacity and complains about its impossible to make the car thinking of the real mileage thus requiring some effort like unplugging 12V battery to pull more energy from the traction one.

I've started from resolving this and here's what I've got...
https://youtu.be/8KV6SuI31YE

I was able to make it thinking it has a much larger battery really cheap. Need to drive it for a while and see how it behaves on chademos with a hack like that.

Next, I'll need to buy cells for repacking and do the whole thing. Sounds like a long story. Let's give it a try...
Hi . What type of cell you will choose?.

Pepin said:
Hi . What type of cell you will choose?.
I've almost bought NMx SVolt. Not a bolt-in but much easier to build - 8s1p modules @80+ Ah...
Just was thinking for too long (a day) so someone bought those before I considered.

Hi,
if you have the time and possibility, would you mind letting me know what arduino setup you used? is it a due with two can shields, or a double can bus shield? I tried to find a working solution for the man-in-the-middle can action, but could not find a fully appropriate one.

Best regards.

take a look at the github/dkotin/can_2515 folder for examples and details, schematic, etc.

drcat put the exact site link in his video above.

Back