Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:43 am

Long trip in a conversion!

https://youtu.be/Ex585HR0wBs
2012 iMIEV ES
2014 Chevy Volt

phb10186

Re: What Other EV's Have You Driven?

Mon May 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Other than my IMIEV, I've driven my parents IMIEV... does that count?

Both are registered in 2012, but I think my parents one is the previous model year, as there are several differences, not only to spec and trim parts, but the car drives slightly differently (mine feels smoother but marginally slower, their brake booster is louder and on for longer)...

... also ridden a BMW C Evolution electric scooter as a test... great, but I cant justify one yet.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 21K
2010 Insight ES-T 64K
2009 RX400h 4WD - 86K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

jray3

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:32 am

I just added another EV to my collection, a professional conversion of a 2000 Mazda Miata. Here's some photos.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aq1CGXNwtaP7hZIbTwvjg2D7YyvyMw
It was the dream retirement project of a gentleman who unfortunately passed away in the latter stages of the project, so his widow paid for its completion, but as she did most of her driving in a Nissan LEAF, the car sat too long and that inattention 'bricked the pack'. It is a 156V system with the Synkromotive 750 amp controller, a Zivan 240V charger, the uber-nice EVISION gauge by Metric Mind, and thirteen Valence UCharge XP Group 27- 12 Volt 130 Ah lithium batteries. I have some experience with these batteries and there's a chance of resurrection, so I've had them percolating on a 1 amp charge for several days now and hope for a test drive this weekend. They won't output any more than 500 amps, but would make a fine long-lived pack for a daily driver in the local area. As icing on the cake, my original i-MiEV 12V battery, which I prematurely replaced during the battery charger failure episode, was the right size for a Miata house battery and immediately woke up the car, with that beautiful EVISION display shining forth in technicolor and logging EVery amp-hour that enters the pack.
http://www.metricmind.com/products/evision-2/
My daughter immediately relinquished her claims on MR BEAN in favor of this red roadster, to which my son replied- "Sure, I'd never give up the RX-7."
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:49 am

Let's see, outside the normal i-MiEV, LEAF, Volt, i3, I can now add to my list:

1. 2011 Tesla Roadster (old news now)
2. Tesla Model X
3. Chevy Bolt (obviously, I own one now :lol: )
4. Corbin Sparrow (Thanks, Joe)
4.5 Sat in the driver's seat of a Model 3.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

greenteam84

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:22 pm

My wife has a 2013 Nissan Leaf SL that I sometimes use.

PV1
Site Moderator

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 am

Got the opportunity to take a Model 3 for a quick drive last fall. Combine the comfort and performance of the Bolt with the vantage point of driving the i-MiEV, and that's what driving the 3 felt like. Lots of power and good handling with the feeling of being right on top of the road.

My Pap bought a C-Max Energi, and after test driving it, the Energi is everything we want in the C-Max Hybrid (stronger/longer lasting regen and more electric power). They are averaging 70 MPG with only home charging. Being an alternative to their F-150, the gas savings are making the payments :mrgreen: .

Also took a Pacifica Hybrid for a test drive a while back, but couldn't get a feel for how it operates. Dead drive battery (hybrid mode) combined with a salesman that wouldn't stop talking :evil: . I'm still not too impressed with it's fuel economy (32 combined gas/electric). My parent's old 2004 Cadillac SRX got 24 MPG with a high-performance V6, and it was just as big as the Pacifica.

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 am

PV1 wrote:My Pap bought a C-Max Energi, and after test driving it, the Energi is everything we want in the C-Max Hybrid (stronger/longer lasting regen and more electric power). They are averaging 70 MPG with only home charging...
So, recognizing the expansion of CCS availability, now that your parents have owned it for a while, is there anything that the C-Max Energi (with its ICE) does that your BoltEV doesn't?

Latest new BEV I drove around the block is an i-Pace. Nice, but not gobsmacking. When I recently went to the Jaguar dealer to enquire about towing capability (after all, it has lots of torque), the answer was that towing with the i-Pace is forbidden.

I'm looking forward to a test drive of the Hyundai Kona EV as all indications are that it might be a nice future replacement should one of my i-MiEVs die or get killed. With the proliferation of BoltEVs, more and more I'm experiencing charging station availability anxiety whenever I'm taking longer i-MiEV trips in the Bay Area, since all the DCFC stations are shared CCS/CHAdeMO. I know, I know, that's what the Tesla is for, but I really prefer not to be driving the Tesla in town.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:56 am

JoeS wrote:So, recognizing the expansion of CCS availability, now that your parents have owned it for a while, is there anything that the C-Max Energi (with its ICE) does that your BoltEV doesn't?

My grandparents have the Energi. My parents still have their hybrid (sorry, should've worded that better).

Either way, the C-Max is good for making those 200+ mile trips with heat. There's still little infrastructure to the east, which is the direction we travel regularly. In the summer, we take the Bolt. In the winter, we take the C-Max. Cabin (and battery) heat just takes too much energy.

Now, if there was a quick charger in Somerset, things would be different. There is a Supercharger there already, so maybe a Model 3 would've been a better choice in that regard. :?

Thanks.

phb10186

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 pm

My IMIEV (which is a less common 'Keiko' spec with brown seats, dash and trimmed door cards, chrome touches and so on)
My Parents IMIEV (which actually drives a bit different to mine, even though a 2012 also, quite a lot of spec differences, but feels slightly quicker off the mark, though an earlier spec iteration, and only the driver seat is heated).
BMW C Evolution electric maxi-scooter - which I thought about buying as a replacement to my now 11 year old Honda SH300 commuter, but is a totally unfeasible economic proposition even though it is very quick... and to be fair, the SH300 is probably the best vehicle I have owned from a utility/ reliability standpoint.

By the way has anyone yet realised that the door mirrors are heated (I only just found that out), and they also automatically deploy from folded at 20mph or so after turning the car on.
2012 I-MIEV Keiko Silver 21K
2010 Insight ES-T 64K
2009 RX400h 4WD - 86K
2001 Accord Type-V (F23 manual)
2009 Hornet CB600F
2008 SH300

cjm1219

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:01 pm

I'll play. Keep in mind imiev is my first EV and have only had if for 3 weeks.

I have been interested in EVs for a long time but never ready to invest much money.

Jet Electrica. Test drove one about 10 years ago. Slow but quite. Car itself was in pretty rough condition so passed on it.

Zap xebra. Friends project. Very slow and rough.

Noticed Used leafs getting cheap over the past year so started looking more seriously. I was looking to spend $4-6kb depending on the car.

2012 leaf. Very nice and comfortable car although quite boring and the battery of the older ones worries me a bit. Plus I couldn't get one cheap enough

2016 Chevy spark. Quick power of the line. Decent car but felt cheap, maybe cheaper feeling than the imiev and more cramped inside. Also couldn't get it cheap enough for me to buy

2012 i-miev. A bit slow off line but then peppy. Fun handling and very zippy in traffic. Was able to but for quite cheap. I'm having fun with it.

Need to drive a Tesla :D
2012 Mitsubishi I-miev SE
2012 Mitsubishi I-miev ES
2007 Nissan Frontier
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Ktm 640 Enduro

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”