Plan ahead

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiev

I was planing what to do in case of if the MiEV is out of battery in the middle of the road. After 3 years, Mitsu will not tow.

Option 1: I plan to buy a generator that will out put 110v and 8 amp. If the Miev is out of battery, the generator will go to the rescue. Any suggestion?

Option 2: Have a trailer and a truck to tow the MiEV home. Any suggestion on the trailer type? Where to buy? What towing capacity the truck has to have?

Last option: ofcourse, call a tow truck.

Thanks

Unless you have a mechanical failure I doubt the would ever happen to three year EV veteran.

I seriously doubt it would ever happen to three month EV veteran . . . . .

I *thought* from the title you chose for this thread, maybe you had figured it out - Guess not ;)

The secret is . . . . Plan Ahead and then you won't find yourself in the middle of the road with no battery. In a year of ownership and more than 8,000 miles, we've never even come close to the scenario you describe . . . . and I already own a Honda eu-2000i which would charge the car just fine if I needed it - But I'll never need it because I know before I leave whether the car needs a full charge or not, and if it does, I charge it before I leave

Actually, I think Mitsu will only tow it ONCE if the owner is so negligent as to find him/herself stranded because of a simple lack of planning ahead

Don

The new-owner notes I received today say once a year for three years. Your dealer may have their own roadside assistance as well. But really, the car will tell you when it's dying and give you time to get out of the road. Carrying a generator would not be practical and would increase your payload.

Ha...ha.. Sometimes you can plan ahead but things happen. The other day I was at Costco, school called to pick up the kids. That wasn't planned. With all the stuff I bought from Costco and a trip to school. I was almost home when I see the turtle.
I drove gently for another 2.5 mile and got home saftely. Phew. When things like that happens, I guess I can call home for a generator.

Don said:
I seriously doubt it would ever happen to three month EV veteran . . . . .

I *thought* from the title you chose for this thread, maybe you had figured it out - Guess not ;)

The secret is . . . . Plan Ahead and then you won't find yourself in the middle of the road with no battery. In a year of ownership and more than 8,000 miles, we've never even come close to the scenario you describe . . . . and I already own a Honda eu-2000i which would charge the car just fine if I needed it - But I'll never need it because I know before I leave whether the car needs a full charge or not, and if it does, I charge it before I leave

Actually, I think Mitsu will only tow it ONCE if the owner is so negligent as to find him/herself stranded because of a simple lack of planning ahead

Don

camiev said:
Ha...ha.. Sometimes you can plan ahead but things happen. The other day I was at Costco, school called to pick up the kids. That wasn't planned. With all the stuff I bought from Costco and a trip to school. I was almost home when I see the turtle.
I drove gently for another 2.5 mile and got home saftely. Phew. When things like that happens, I guess I can call home for a generator.

I have the luxury of having a gasser collecting dust in my driveway. In that situation I probably would have ran home to grab the gasser, need to charge the battery once and a while. Plus living in a city with a 10+ mile radius I can get away with this :).

Basically this is not a problem. It is more a hypothetical problem, but if you have driven your electric vehicle for even a couple of weeks, you know how much charge you need, what style of driving will get you there (if you are testing the range limits), etc.

I speak with a lot of people about EV's and they all ask this question, but the answer is that you don't run out of charge. You make sure to know how far you need to go. Oh, and by the way, every building has electricity that you can use to charge up!

camiev said:
Ha...ha.. Sometimes you can plan ahead but things happen. The other day I was at Costco, school called to pick up the kids. That wasn't planned. With all the stuff I bought from Costco and a trip to school. I was almost home when I see the turtle. I drove gently for another 2.5 mile and got home saftely. Phew...
camiev, did you treat this as a learning experience? You'll find that you can travel a tremendous distance if you just slow way down. Were you reasonably-well charged up in the morning before setting off for the day? Were there opportunities earlier in the day to top-up? For us, it is second-nature to plug in during busy days (either at friends' or my house) - the way my EVSE is set up in the garage, I only use about 3' of the J1772 cable - it takes just a few seconds to plug in and it never touches the ground.

BTW, here's a link to Range Anxiety NOT, with the first few words being Planning Ahead.

I just think of another option is to buy the Outlander PHEV as a back up vehicle.
Outlander PHEV can charge power back to MiEV in case of unforseen emergencies.

Back